FlashCard hard keys

A suggestion for the upcoming flash card functionality in PlecoDict. So far I am using an open source Chinese flash card application with a very convenient user interface (hopefuly other will find this too): the user can use the hard keys for showing the pinyin and english translation, as well as indicating "okay I knew it" or "oops -- I have to learn that better". In fact, there are separate hard keys used for showing pinyin and the translation.

I found the use of the hard keys very convenient because I don't need to pull out the pen anymore. The only disadvantage of this concept is that one needs (usually) both hands to operate the hard keys (my right hand is not flexible enough to operate all four buttons using the thumb while holding the Palm at the same time). So, for Tungsten users with the 5-way navigator it could be interesting to map the operations of showing pinyin and the translation, as well as "ok" or "oops" to the 5-way navigator. This way one could just hold the Tungsten with one hand while using that hand's thumb to operate the navigator button(s).

For instance:
  • left: didn't knew it, redo card later
  • right: okay, I knew it
  • center: show pinyin and translation

(I know: traditionalists would probably like to switch the functionality of the left and right buttons, as might some left-wing politicians 8) )

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Actually, in our current design you can choose which flashcard commands to assign to which hardware buttons; this allows us to accommodate the wide array of different button layouts out there. So left-wing, right-wing, Tungsten or Clie, you can set up the buttons however you like :) The default layout will likely use the up and down scroll buttons and the calendar and contacts hard keys, since those are about the only buttons that are consistently found on just about every Palm OS model, but if we have time we may put in some sort of rudimentary auto-detect feature as well.