Flashcards, learn more cards than planned, how?

sangormam

举人
I have set up for 20 per new cards limit.
But sometimes i feel like i want to learn more.
How can i tell pleco to show me more cards, without stopping to test me for previous cards and without changing limit from 20?

Also second question:
Is this possible to adjust scoring by how fast i answer?
For example if my answer between displaying character and "Reveal card" is more than 1 second than score = X
if faster than Y.

Also:
I would like that PLECO would test me for cards i already had seen during session, randomly return to some cards.
Not like from 1 to 20 once, but sometimes do some from [1..20] again, randomly.
thanks.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I'd suggest simply raising the limit temporarily and then lowering it again later - lowering it won't cause any cards that you've already studied to stop being reviewed.

There's no way to adjust scoring automatically, but if you set one of the "Top Fields" under "Interface" to "Card Timer," that will show you exactly how long you went before pressing "reveal card" so that you can then rate your answer correct / incorrect / 1/2/3/4/5/6 based on that.

There's not currently any option to randomly return to cards you reviewed during the session - actually I'm not sure if anyone's ever suggested this before (which is strange because it seems like we've had just about every flashcard suggestion imaginable by now); is there a particular reason you'd like to do this?

sangormam

举人
There's not currently any option to randomly return to cards you reviewed during the session - actually I'm not sure if anyone's ever suggested this before (which is strange because it seems like we've had just about every flashcard suggestion imaginable by now); is there a particular reason you'd like to do this?
I saw it in ankidroid, when learning, it sometimes randomly returns to some previous random character. It is useful, maybe not for Space repetition, but for example:
i am learning 100 characters, pleco is giving me randomly from 1 to 100.
when i am at lets say 56 character i start feeling insecure that i dont remember some from first ten.

But if there would be option like:
During session randomly repeat X characters Y times, i would be sure that sooner or later pleco will flash me with previous.
So for example this option could look like:
How many in session:
(X) (lets say X=10)

How many from X set for random repeat:
(Y) 10
How many times random repeat each card:
(Z) 2.

It would actually increase flashes during one session to X+2*Y = 10 +20=30
but it would reinforce this characters in mind.

This is only my view at this, because my learning style is that when i learn something i often return to check if i remember correctly what i already learned.

sangormam

举人
Also to not start new topic, is it possible that pleco will show me configurable amount of already learned cards?
For example, how to set an option which will do something like this:

1.Review X or All only learned?(randomly)
and
2.Review X or All only learned?(randomly) + Y new for today

Because now there is option limit by
maximum unlearned or new cards
but its prioritize cards which were unlearned or new.

Sometimes i just want to recall everything and not learn new.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Ah - Anki does something a bit like this but I believe it's still done as part of SRS (repeating earlier cards you've remembered incorrectly).

The fundamental goal of our big redesign is "more flexible sessions," which would include the ability for cards to crop up later, but I'm not sure if we'd want that to be happening totally randomly - in general in your situation I'd recommend simply doing some additional reviews after your basic one to go back over those cards.

For your second question, if you choose "Random" card selection temporarily you can configure an "unlearned card ratio" for those tests that should let you focus on new/old cards to whatever degree you like.