getting a new phone, switching to android

trisha

秀才
I have an iphone4 with pleco and am planning to get a new phone tonight, an android phone.

My understanding is that I will have to buy all the add ons again, that there is no way around that.

What I am concerned about though is two things:

1) my flashcards - is it difficult to get them off my iphone and in a format that I can back on to my android phone? some I downloaded and guess I could get them again but many I have added manually.

2) What about all the scores on my cards? Will I lose all that and have to start all over or is there a way to transfer that also?

And one other thing - how does pleco run on the new samsung galaxy phones?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Actually no, you can transfer all of your purchases with the instructions here. You can migrate your flashcards with their scores too (same link).

As far as how well Pleco runs on Samsungs: that really depends on which one, if you're talking about the new Galaxy S6 it runs fine but I'm not a fan of the high-end Galaxies in general - not really enough in there to justify their sky-high pricing; there are better phones to be had for less money. Are you switching to Android due to a problem with iOS or an improvement with Android? Which features are you most concerned about (price, speed, screen, camera, battery life?) Which cell carrier?

trisha

秀才
That's great! I thought that at one time you had to buy everything all over again when you switched phones! I might still update my dictionary though.

And even better that the scores will come along with the transfer!

I had some bad experiences with my iphone, difficulty syncing with itunes, crashing and losing all my data. I want to start all over with something that's not an iphone.

I have ATT, I've checked into phones quite a bit and there are a number of features that I'm looking for and I think the galaxy will work for me. I really don't want to start all over with deciding what kind of phone I want - don't have the time and my iphone is about to completely go out on me so I need to switch soon.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Fair enough - I won't waste your time trying to suggest alternatives in that case. Enjoy your new phone.

trisha

秀才
I'm part way through setting up pleco on my new phone but am stuck at the steps below:

Swipe down your device's notification area, tap on the USB connection notification, and tap on the button to mount your device as a USB drive on your computer.
Copy the backed-up flashcard database to your SD card.
I don't how to 'Swipe down your device's notification area' - I don't even know what that means

There is no sd card

alex_hk90

状元
I'm part way through setting up pleco on my new phone but am stuck at the steps below:

Swipe down your device's notification area, tap on the USB connection notification, and tap on the button to mount your device as a USB drive on your computer.
Copy the backed-up flashcard database to your SD card.
I don't how to 'Swipe down your device's notification area' - I don't even know what that means

There is no sd card
Generally the "notification area" is at the top of the screen - you'll see a toolbar and if you drag this down you should see the notification area.

If you don't have an SD card then it will probably be the virtual SD card (internal memory).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Ah, yeah, actually we have to update that since on most phones it's no longer necessary - usually now just plugging into your computer will be sufficient. Was mostly necessary on pre-Android-4.0 phones that couldn't access the SD card at the same time that it was accessible from a computer (though there are still a few stragglers that require this step even now).

Anyway, if you simply plug your phone into your computer that should be all you need to do to see it come up as a USB drive. If you're running a Mac, however, you'll need to install Android File Transfer before this will work.

trisha

秀才
Thanks. Still can't figure this out though. I found what I guess is the notification area but nothing about any USB devices.

On my laptop, when I look at 'This PC', the phone is listed there and I can open it and see all the files on it. Is there any way to the copy and paste the backup file onto the phone that way?

I don't see anything coming up on my phone about usb devices though. I don't know where else to look

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks. Still can't figure this out though. I found what I guess is the notification area but nothing about any USB devices.

On my laptop, when I look at 'This PC', the phone is listed there and I can open it and see all the files on it. Is there any way to the copy and paste the backup file onto the phone that way?

I don't see anything coming up on my phone about usb devices though. I don't know where else to look

Yes - you can pretty much just copy your backup file there like you would any other file to any other drive.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You don't need to put it in a Pleco-specific folder, just put it in the top level folder or inside of Documents and you can open it from that folder from within Pleco's backup restore interface.