Importing flashcards does not work

MrBu

I tried to import flashcards from a .txt file but it always says "Import Failed. The import did not complete succesfully." Not sure what I a doing wrong. Even if I try to import really simples files like this following one, I still have the same problem:

//My Flashcards
你好 ni3hao3 Hello!
再见 zai4jian4

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
From the reports we've had so far this seems to be a problem with Android permissions getting screwed up - the best fix is to delete and reinstall Pleco. (back up your existing flashcards first - Import/Export / Backup Database in the sidebar menu)

MrBu

Reinstalling did not fix the problem, but I found another solution.

The problem is somehow connected to the text file. If I create a UTF-8 text file on my computer and try to import it I will get the error message. When I just export one flashcard to a textfile, then open it on my computer and copy my vocabularies inside, it will work.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That might be a security problem, then - are you running Android 6 by any chance? Which folder are the flashcards stored in?

MrBu

I am running Android 5.0.1. I guess the flashcards are stored in the custom folder cause I did not make any changes.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... and just to confirm, are you opening the file from within the 'choose file' section of the Import Cards screen? And seeing a standard Android file picker dialog when you do? Does it work any better if you store the file in internal memory instead of on an SD card?

MrBu

I always tried to import the cards from Onedrive. If I save them on my phone I can import them. Now I have for some flashcards the problem that my translation is not displayed. It will show the standard translation from the dictionary instead. "把" and "忘" are two characters they will never displayed correctly whatever translation I use.

Example:
//L17
把 ba3 Test
忘 wang4 Test2

It will be still displayed as:

Screenshot_2015-12-27-20-37-05.png

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm, have to do some more testing with OneDrive then.

For the import, set 'duplicate handling' to 'update + merge' - otherwise it'll keep the old definitions from the duplicate cards these are matching up with. (we default to that since it generally seems smarter not to overwrite existing definitions unless people specifically tell us to)