Oxford versus NWP

mai

秀才
Hi all,

I'm just wondering, if I can really delete the Oxford Dictionary and save some space on my palm. Some word definitions seem to be missing in NWP. For example: when I look up "brown" in NWP all I get is "brown rice - cao1 mi3". Not one word about the different brown colors like zong1 se4 or he4 se4. Am I missing something substantial?

Greetings from Shanghai,
Mai

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
This is simply a bug in the NWP data file - there are a number of words like "anvil" that are included in the database but don't come up in searches, and there are a number of other words like "brown" which are in the dictionary source files but seem to have been mangled or deleted by the conversion software - all this stuff should be fixed up in the finished version, but for now you might want to restore the Oxford E-C database for completeness' sake.

mai

秀才
Hi Mike,

good to know. For now I will keep the Oxford Dict. When can we expect the next beta version of pleco dict?

Mai

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It'll be several more weeks - this is the biggest update yet, adding in among other things our new flashcard system, improved search results, and (I think) the ability to add/edit new dictionary entries right on your Palm. In fact this will probably be the last "Preview Release" - further updates will officially be called "beta" versions, meaning that aside from minor tweaks the features/interface/etc are pretty much final and most of the remaining work consists simply of mopping up bugs.

Rustic

秀才
Mike,

I hope the new flashcard system in PlecoDict will allow me to transfer my flashcards from the Oxford Dict program. I've created around 2,500 flashcards and it would be a real pain to have to re-enter them again.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Cheers,

R

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
O yes, we're aware of the amount of time people have invested in their flashcard collections and we certainly wouldn't want people to have to throw them out and start over. So some sort of tranfer/import feature is definitely in the works.