Pleco 3.2.36 doesn't copy characters to new AnkiDroid notes

Discussion in 'Pleco for Android' started by beirne, Nov 4, 2016.

  1. beirne

    beirne 进士

    I was pleased to see the experimental AnkiDroid integration in Pleco 3.2.36 when I downloaded it this morning from the Play store. I have it set up and it mostly works, but for some reason it does not copy the Chinese character portion of the entry to the note. Here are the details:

    Settings:
    Flashcard System: AnkiDroid (I'm running version 2.7)
    New Card Deck: chinese (my basic vocabulary deck)
    Default New Card Model: Chinese (three fields: Pinyin, Characters, English)
    Characters:Include Fields: Simplified Headword is checked
    Format as Pleco Header: unchecked

    Results:
    When I hit the add button I get a message that a note was created. When I go to AnkiDroid I see the note in the browser, but when I open it for editing I only see the Pinyin and English fields filled in. The Characters field is empty.

    As an experiment I also tried Traditional Headword, but it didn't get to the note either.

    I did see that when the Definition included a measure word character that the character showed up fine in AnkiDroid.
     
  2. mikelove

    mikelove 皇帝 Staff Member

    Thanks - will have a fix up shortly, in the meantime it does work if you choose the option to have both simplified + traditional but obviously this isn't that helpful if your model is configured to only use one.
     
    beirne likes this.
  3. beirne

    beirne 进士

    I just downloaded the fix and it works great. Thanks! That's an excellent feature. I put something together similar in Wenlin on the Mac but it will be much more convenient being able to create Anki cards from Pleco.
     
  4. Abun

    Abun 进士

    The fix works for me as well, however the preview window seems to have what looks like an encoding error. At least both characters and accented Pinyin letters appear as garbage strings (for example “什麼東西” is displayed as “什麼æ±è¥¿” and “shénmedōngxi” as “shénmedÅngxi”). The actual card is correct though, so it’s a minor issue.

    But somehow since the last update the default tags don’t work anymore, and if I want to manually change the tags in the preview, Pleco will crash.
     
  5. mikelove

    mikelove 皇帝 Staff Member

    What device model are you using and what version of Android is it running? I suspect this relates to the embedded web browser component on your device not defaulting to UTF-8 text encoding and AnkiDroid's generated HTML preview not specifying it either. (we can override this by checking for that + adding a UTF-8 encoding tag if there isn't one already)

    With this crash, did you submit it to Google Play? (not seeing anything in the crash reports system that would fit this)
     
  6. Abun

    Abun 进士

    I’m using a Samsung Galaxy S3 with Android 4.3.

    I filed a report for the crash now. I also noticed that the problem only occurs when I try to add a card from a popup bubble (either in the reader or when I tap on a word within a dictionary entry) but not when I add the headword of the entry I’m currently in. It might also interest you that the problem preview windows (the background area, not the preview frame itself) have a different colour than those that works fine; the former being a dark grey, somewhat lighter than the working window in night mode. Night mode does not change the colour of the problem windows.
     

Share This Page