search by combination of character and pinyin

chaiusa

举人
Mike,

is it possible to implement the plecodict to allow the users to seach by character and pinyin in combination?

i feel the abc dict has a lot of vocabulary. when i want to select the word from the entry list (after i write the first char), i often got to browse to 2-3 pages to get to the target word. it will be very helpful if after i write the first char, i can write pinyin to shorten the result of search.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
This has been discussed before; it's definitely in the works, but it may not appear until version 1.1 or some later update, and unfortunately it might be rather slow - the way it works in our current design is that the dictionary translates the pinyin portion of a word into the tens or hundreds of possible character choices and then systematically searches the database for each of those, which can take several seconds even on a fast Palm. (though we may end up producing a separate index just for mixed char/pinyin searches, in which case they'd happen at the same speed as any other ones)