"Storage Location Changed" msg after reboot

Marc

举人
After rebooting my phone I keep on getting the Storage Location Changed message, offering me to re-download Pleco's data files from scratch. I rebooted several times - always the same.

Any idea? Would I lose any data (e.g. my flashcards) or settings if I re-downloaded?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Update to the latest beta version (top post in this forum) and that should get rid of those messages. Sorry about that.

Marc

举人
Ok, so I guess it's a bug. Would you mind extending a bit on the beta topic? I am new to that. Of course I am willing to install the beta to get rid of the problem but in general I prefer to run the stable versions. Will I get on a kind of beta path and always get the betas in the future if I install one? Or how do I avoid that? Will I lose any of my flashcard data or settings when suddenly installing a beta or moving from beta back to stable? Sorry, I am sure these are all stupid questions for you... but not for a newbie like me. (I couldn't find any beta introduction page explaining the basics on pleco.com.)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
If you do it through Google Play you'll be updated to the release version once it's ready, and can go back onto the same page you use to sign up for the beta to opt out of receiving future betas. You can back up your flashcards (via Import/Export / Backup Database) and your settings and history (bottom of the "Settings" screen) to make sure you don't lose those if anything goes wrong with the beta.

But hopefully the release version with this fix will be out in just a few days, so you could also just wait for that to be ready if you prefer.

Marc

举人
Thanks but unfortunately I can't backup from within Pleco... you know... I can't start Pleco at the moment... that's why I'm here. ;-)
If you tell me the relevant directories for flashcards, settings and history I can try to back them up manually with a file explorer before I install the beta.

Marc

举人
Is it this one? --> sdcard0/Android/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem/files/databases/
Anything else?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's the one for flashcard databases, but unfortunately settings and history are not in an easily reachable location on the file system and so cannot easily be backed up without opening our app. It's very unlikely they'd be deleted just by installing the beta, though, and you can back them up as soon as you run the beta.

Marc

举人
Alright, thanks, I did it this way.

Suggestion: Why not offer an option "Prompt to backup settings and/or history"? Like the one for flashcards databases. Maybe not every week like that one. But maybe every few months or every half a year? Sure, usually you don't change the settings that often or much once you think they're alright. But over longer periods of time I am sure we all still make some changes. And I bet most users don't have a settings backup younger than one year...