2.2.6 Bug Report + Feedback Thread

jiacheng

榜眼
Re: 2.2.5 Bug Report + Feedback Thread

Just noticed this problem with 2.2.6, but there's no thread yet, so I'll go ahead and post it here.

"Scroll lookup words" mode does not seem to honor span lines when adding a flashcard. This makes it much more painful to add a custom flashcard for non-dictionary words.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Re: 2.2.5 Bug Report + Feedback Thread

jiacheng said:
Just noticed this problem with 2.2.6, but there's no thread yet, so I'll go ahead and post it here.

"Scroll lookup words" mode does not seem to honor span lines when adding a flashcard. This makes it much more painful to add a custom flashcard for non-dictionary words.

Looks like this one's been around a while, but we'll make a note to fix it in the next update. Thanks!

jiacheng

榜眼
So I realize that pleco is now ignoring the mute button, and I understand the reasons for it, but it has caused an inconvenience for me in that some of my tests are set to auto play the sound, which is not really desirable when studying in a public place. I'd like to be able to mute the sound easily. I was thinking that instead of ignoring the mute button, you could flash something on the screen and vibrate the phone when the recording is played, and/or put a red X over the speaker icon to indicate that the mute button is turned on. Another idea is to have a setting, either in the main settings or in the flashcard test setting itself to ignore/honor mute, defaulting to ignore.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
jiacheng said:
So I realize that pleco is now ignoring the mute button, and I understand the reasons for it, but it has caused an inconvenience for me in that some of my tests are set to auto play the sound, which is not really desirable when studying in a public place. I'd like to be able to mute the sound easily. I was thinking that instead of ignoring the mute button, you could flash something on the screen and vibrate the phone when the recording is played, and/or put a red X over the speaker icon to indicate that the mute button is turned on. Another idea is to have a setting, either in the main settings or in the flashcard test setting itself to ignore/honor mute, defaulting to ignore.

There's actually no way to detect that the mute button is enabled, oddly enough - that would have been my preference for how to handle this but Apple simply doesn't provide an API for it.

Having a setting to honor the mute button might work, though - we'll investigate that for the next update. (it would be much easier if it were systemwide rather than flashcard-test-specific)

shiaili

Still having the OCR crash bug with both "Capture Flashcards" and "Lookup Words" when pausing. Using traditional characters on an iPhone 3GS with 4.0.1

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
shiaili said:
Still having the OCR crash bug with both "Capture Flashcards" and "Lookup Words" when pausing. Using traditional characters on an iPhone 3GS with 4.0.1

Haven't had any other reports of this - could you email or PM me your crash logs?

Just to make a separate post about this:

If you encounter a crash with Pleco on iPhone, you can send us a log file to help us diagnose the problem. Sync your iPhone with your computer, then go into:

Mac OS X : /Users/(your username)/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/(your device name)
Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\(your username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\Logs\CrashReporter\MobileDevice\(your device name)
Windows Vista / 7: C:\Users\(your username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Logs\CrashReporter\MobileDevice\(your device name)

and locate the appropriate log file or files (should have names starting with "Pleco" and the file extension .crash). Send that file to mikelove@pleco.com and we'll get to work on it.

Also, I should note that on Windows that "Application Data" folder may be hidden - choose "Folder Options" from the "Tools" menu, go to the "View" tab and check the radio button to "Show hidden files and folders" to make hidden folders visible.

Paul Duke

进士
Hi, I assume this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I searched for the topic but could not find anything. My apologies.

Pleco "locks up" on me once in a while. In particular, the Chinese dictionaries lock up so that search does not work. I input pinyin, for instance, and the words displayed do not change at all. Doing a reset of the iPhone (and I had this issue on iPod Touch previously as well) fixes the problem.

I'm curious if there is some way to reset just Pleco without doing a reset of my iPhone.

thanks much,

Paul D.

Paul Duke

进士
Also, while I'm here, I just noticed something else...

In flashcards, definitions from the CC-CEDICT dictionary are not shown. IE, while definitions from other dictionaries are revealed on the second card, flashcards from the CC-CEDICT only show the character and pinyin, but no definition, on the second card.

Do I have a setting wrong somewhere?

I should mention that I just switched a few weeks ago from iPod Touch to iPhone, so perhaps something happened in the transition? But I tested this by creating new flashcards from CC-CEDICT entries and the problem still exists...

thanks again,

Paul D.

Vzzzbx

进士
Regarding your first post, this may help:

1. Press the home button twice quickly. A new row of app icons will pop into view at the bottom of the screen (like this: http://whenwillapple.com/blog/wp-conten ... switch.png). These icons represent all applications that are currently running.

2. Locate the Pleco app icon in this new row of icons. If you can't see Pleco there, swipe from right to left until you find it.

3. Touch the Pleco app icon and hold down your finger.

4. When the screen goes all wiggly (you'll see what I mean when it happens), a red '—' indicator will appear at the top left corner of every app icon (like this: http://pic.wenwen.soso.com/p/20100729/2 ... 827383.jpg).

5. Touch the Pleco app icon's red '—' indicator. The Pleco app icon will disappear, meaning the app has been closed.

6. Press the Home button once to end the wiggly mode, and once again to return to your home screen

7. Open Pleco normally.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Vzzzbx's solution is correct on the first problem (thanks!). Though I'm not sure why this would be happening, we haven't really ever encountered it here or had any other reports of it - have you changed any of the Pleco settings from their defaults? Are you using a custom / user dictionary? Which add-on dictionaries have you installed? Which version of iOS are you using on your iPhone?

Paul Duke said:
In flashcards, definitions from the CC-CEDICT dictionary are not shown. IE, while definitions from other dictionaries are revealed on the second card, flashcards from the CC-CEDICT only show the character and pinyin, but no definition, on the second card.

Do I have a setting wrong somewhere?

I should mention that I just switched a few weeks ago from iPod Touch to iPhone, so perhaps something happened in the transition? But I tested this by creating new flashcards from CC-CEDICT entries and the problem still exists...

That's odd... go into "Organize Cards" and tap on one of those CC-CEDICT flashcards; does the definition show up correctly in there?

If not, go into "Search Cards" and search for "incomplete" cards - do all of the CC-CEDICT cards come up in that screen?

Paul Duke

进士
Hi thanks (as always) for the quick replies. Working backwards...

2nd issue) The definitions don't show up under "Organize Cards" and yes, the CC dictionary cards DO show up in the incomplete cards search.

1st issue) I suspect your suggestion will fix my problem. Whenever I get your "loading" screen that seems to reset and fix it. I'm not using any custom/user dictionaries. The dictionaries I have installed are ABC, Adsotrans, CC, 21st Century E-C. I have some sense that this lock up tends to happen shortly after searching for English to Chinese definitions. I had the same issue on my iPod Touch several times. I've probably had the issue less frequently on my few weeks old iPhone. At least that's my sense. iOS version is 4.3.3 (8J2).

thanks... PD

Paul Duke

进士
Okay so I used your "search incomplete" function to then change all the incomplete entries to full entries from the CC dictionary, so now I think all is good.

I wonder if something happened on the transfer from the iPod touch, as I didn't have this issue before... I used your wireless transfer method (which by the way, was great and pretty easy to do) to move my flashcard database from iTouch to iPhone, so I assume the problem happened somewhere in that process.

Thanks again. PD

ldolse

状元
Pleco iPhone can't look up in the CJK radicals block

This issue isn't specific to 2.2.6, but it is specific to iPhone vs Windows Mobile (not sure about Android).

Basically Pleco won't search for any characters in the CJK Radicals Supplement unicode block, e.g. ⺝⺜⺮ among many other characters. That block is used pretty extensively in the radical dictionary, so among other things it causes the flashcard import for those characters to partially fail - flashcard is added but no dictionary text. Looks like all the other rare characters in that dictionary work ok, it's just this one block that fails.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Paul Duke said:
Whenever I get your "loading" screen that seems to reset and fix it. I'm not using any custom/user dictionaries. The dictionaries I have installed are ABC, Adsotrans, CC, 21st Century E-C. I have some sense that this lock up tends to happen shortly after searching for English to Chinese definitions. I had the same issue on my iPod Touch several times. I've probably had the issue less frequently on my few weeks old iPhone. At least that's my sense. iOS version is 4.3.3 (8J2).

OK, we'll investigate further and see if we can reproduce this, though enough of the search code is being changed in Pleco 2.3 that it may be best to just hold off on a fix until then.

Paul Duke said:
Okay so I used your "search incomplete" function to then change all the incomplete entries to full entries from the CC dictionary, so now I think all is good.

I wonder if something happened on the transfer from the iPod touch, as I didn't have this issue before... I used your wireless transfer method (which by the way, was great and pretty easy to do) to move my flashcard database from iTouch to iPhone, so I assume the problem happened somewhere in that process.

Hmm... still very odd, the CC-CEDICT dictionary ID hasn't changed so there's no reason those cards should have stopped linking to it. And an issue with the move wouldn't explain the definitions missing in new cards... if you create another CC-CEDICT-based card now (based on a word that's not currently in your flashcard database), does that new card show up with no definition?

ldolse said:
Basically Pleco won't search for any characters in the CJK Radicals Supplement unicode block, e.g. ⺝⺜⺮ among many other characters. That block is used pretty extensively in the radical dictionary, so among other things it causes the flashcard import for those characters to partially fail - flashcard is added but no dictionary text. Looks like all the other rare characters in that dictionary work ok, it's just this one block that fails.

That's odd, and not something I'd expect to be iPhone-specific since it's pretty much all the same code we were using on WM - we'll investigate this for the next update, thanks!

ldolse

状元
mikelove said:
That's odd, and not something I'd expect to be iPhone-specific since it's pretty much all the same code we were using on WM - we'll investigate this for the next update, thanks!

I take the iPhone only comment back back - I thought I'd tested pretty extensively back when I authored the dict on Windows Mobile and would have noticed a problem like this, but you're right. I just went back and double-checked and Windows Mobile is broken too...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ldolse said:
I take the iPhone only comment back back - I thought I'd tested pretty extensively back when I authored the dict on Windows Mobile and would have noticed a problem like this, but you're right. I just went back and double-checked and Windows Mobile is broken too...

Ah, that makes more sense - thanks!

jiacheng

榜眼
Using 2.2.7 and this is the first time I have ever seen this problem. As I was reviewing, I noticed that the card I was reviewing showed the incorrect definition for a word. When checking the database, it seems that the word somehow became mapped to another one. I believe that both of these cards are words from the USR dictionary, so it could be that when I created the newer entry, it overwrote the previous definition as that definition seems to have disappeared.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
jiacheng said:
Using 2.2.7 and this is the first time I have ever seen this problem. As I was reviewing, I noticed that the card I was reviewing showed the incorrect definition for a word. When checking the database, it seems that the word somehow became mapped to another one. I believe that both of these cards are words from the USR dictionary, so it could be that when I created the newer entry, it overwrote the previous definition as that definition seems to have disappeared.

We didn't really change that code at all in 2.2.7, in fact it hasn't changed for several releases... very odd. Is there any chance that you might have edited that user dictionary entry without realizing it? Perhaps you were viewing that entry, tapped on the button to edit a user dictionary entry intending to then create a new one, but then forgot to tap on the button to create a new entry so that you ended up editing the existing one? I'm trying to think of a way that creating a new user dictionary entry could have changed which one an existing flashcard maps to, but I'm really drawing a blank...

Hi. I'm running 2.2.6 and have noticed a few problems (not sure if they are bugs).

1. I use the multiple choice option for studying flashcards. Sometimes, after answering a card correctly, I intentionally use the back button to mark it incorrect because I feel that particular word needs a little extra attention. At the end of the session, when prompted to review incorrect cards, the card isn't there. I've seen cards that I have answered correctly in the end of session review. Any ideas why this happening?

2. When using the web reader, sometimes the text ends up garbled; whereas in Safari it's fine. I'm not able to upload the screenshot from my iPad; I can email it, if need be.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

BTW, Pleco on the iPad is amazing! Looks beautiful!

jiacheng

榜眼
I believe that the newer entry was likely created with 2.2.6, so it's unlikely that 2.2.7 is specifically involved. I just happened to notice it after I downloaded 2.2.7. I created an entry, then a flashcard from that entry, changed the entry and then added another flashcard with the new entry and the behavior I saw earlier seems consistent with that. I am just baffled as to how I didn't notice it.