Early Access to Grand Ricci

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
An early access release of Pleco's edition of Le Grand Dictionnaire Ricci de la langue chinoise, the massively comprehensive scholarly Chinese-French dictionary with over 300,000 entries and plentiful historical data, is finally available. (still far from the last Amazing New Dictionary in the pipeline, but a pretty darn Amazing one)

There's a rather fascinating story behind this title - development involved 300 people and took more than five decades, much of the work being done on paper index cards. It's an amazing dictionary, and we're hoping that the combination of our release and a forthcoming web version might help increase its popularity to the point where it starts to become commercially feasible to consider an English translation.

This release does not include the historical character images from the print/CD-ROM edition, but those should be coming later this year (once we get our software to support embedded images in entries). It's also missing / can't render properly a few other rare characters - again, we're working on it. But in all other respects it should have pretty much the same data as the other editions of GR. Unlike the printed GR, it includes simplified characters along with traditional for multi-character headwords (and not just for single characters).

iOS users can register at:

http://www.pleco.com/newdictreg.html

to be able to download and purchase the dictionary. ($60, possibly not the final pricing but if it changes it would be higher and not lower) You'll need to register again even if you registered for the other early access dictionaries before. As with other early access titles, buying it now will also entitle you to a free copy of the finished version once it's ready.

Android users can download the demo database from:

http://cdn.pleco.com/androidpackages/pa2ricci-130323.zip

If you'd like to buy that (also $60), send us an email - we're launching a new version of our website store in a week or two, so we're not bothering to add automated purchasing for this to our old one.

dcarpent

榜眼
Thanks! Just bought it and it looks great! Such a valuable resource, and considering what you are getting, the price is great as well! Keep up the good work!!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
dcarpent said:
Thanks! Just bought it and it looks great! Such a valuable resource, and considering what you are getting, the price is great as well! Keep up the good work!!

Great, thank you!

dcarpent

榜眼
Is the "front matter" or whatever for the Ricci available from within Pleco? I'm not what the abbreviation DS means, for instance, or the meaning of the bracketed numbers following the circled numbers in the Histoire Ricci. For that matter, is there an explanation of the relationship of the Histoire Ricci and the Grand Ricci? Just 字典 vs. 词典?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
dcarpent said:
Is the "front matter" or whatever for the Ricci available from within Pleco? I'm not what the abbreviation DS means, for instance, or the meaning of the bracketed numbers following the circled numbers in the Histoire Ricci. For that matter, is there an explanation of the relationship of the Histoire Ricci and the Grand Ricci? Just 字典 vs. 词典?

We've actually requested / are waiting on that from them. The bracketed numbers are I believe references to historical character images that aren't included yet (but will be later this year).

Histoire Ricci provides historical background information on some characters - we split off those portions of character entries from the main dictionary to make things more readable.

alanmd

探花
Looks great so far, will be even better with the historical images. As a bonus, I get to practice my increasingly rusty French!

dcarpent

榜眼
In case anyone else is wondering, the Ds that appears repeatedly in the dictionary is just the abbreviation of the French "dans". When I first saw these scattered through the entries I assumed it had some technical meaning in the context of the Le Grand Ricci, but it is just a generic abbreviation. This was probably obvious to everyone but me.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ACardiganAndAFrown said:
had a look at the demo....

Unless you know French it won't help you with a whole lot..

At some point we're planning to add an option to look up French words in English by tapping on them, but yeah, it's a bit specialized in that sense.

Lijie

秀才
aaaa I need to get a job or just take all the scholarship money and live off 1 kuai a day. Being able to speak French and English fluently this dictionary would help a ton. Downloading the demo as we speak~

parigot

I am so happy about the Grand Ricci on Pleco, and went right away to sign up and buy it. However, despite following all the instructions and receiving a message from Pleco that I would now be able to see it in my Add-ons after entering my phone's ID, I still don't see it in Add-ons, even after tapping reload multiple times and over quite a long period. Does it take a long while to show up? Am I in the wrong section of Add-ons? Is it because I'm in France? I've tried everything I can think of. It would really help me this week-- I'm finishing my Master's thesis on an old Chinese topic due the 19th!

:(

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
parigot said:
I am so happy about the Grand Ricci on Pleco, and went right away to sign up and buy it. However, despite following all the instructions and receiving a message from Pleco that I would now be able to see it in my Add-ons after entering my phone's ID, I still don't see it in Add-ons, even after tapping reload multiple times and over quite a long period. Does it take a long while to show up? Am I in the wrong section of Add-ons? Is it because I'm in France? I've tried everything I can think of. It would really help me this week-- I'm finishing my Master's thesis on an old Chinese topic due the 19th!

Try this: go into Add-ons, wait for it to load, then go into Settings / Contact Support and use the ID from that screen to register; thanks to Apple restrictions it's possible you might get a different ID the first time you go into Contact Support.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Update: this is now out officially, pressed into service ahead of schedule because Apple decided to feature us on the front page of iTunes in France (and Benelux) and we couldn't pass up such a perfect marketing opportunity.

I've just purchased and downloaded the Grand Ricci, it's really worth its price. Thanks for making it available!
I particularly appreciate that Pleco has kept the Grand Ricci (GR) and the Historic Grand Ricci (GRH) separate. It makes it easier to read.

I've just got one question: where can I find a table of the abbreviations used in the dictionary?
For example: Br. , Ds., qc. and others. I'm a French speaker, and yet the abbreviations are sometimes obscure to me.

Thanks in advance :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We've actually been asking for that abbreviation table for almost a year now and haven't been able to get a copy out of them so far - not sure if they have that in electronic format. At some point we'll have to try to extract it from a printed copy but we'd been holding out hope that they would eventually find the data files.

Thanks for the reply Mike.

I've just emailed the Grand Ricci (GR) support yesterday for the same matter (I want to have a comprehensive list of the abreviations) at : support@grandricci.org and contact@grandricci.org.
They're pretty reactive and emailed me right back, ... but saying that I should address my request to Pleco rather than the GR.

We've actually been asking for that abbreviation table for almost a year now and haven't been able to get a copy out of them so far - not sure if they have that in electronic format.
Now in the light of your post here above, it's a little confusing.

Besides, they only mentioned a PDF version of the abbreviations table, so regardless of whether you get the file from them or scan it yourself, you'll probably have to (re-)type it manually in order to include it in Pleco.
I guess it would be great to have it in the list you see before browsing the dictionary entries:
  • Browse Entries
  • History
  • Search Tips
  • Instruction Manual
  • *Dictionary of Abbreviations *?
PS: The GR is really fantastic, and worth my 59 USD.