Transition from Beta to official product

Hello there,

I wanted to ask what I am supposed to do with Pleco now being available over the market. Do I have to install Pleco via the Android Market again or do I just keep the Beta 9 running. I guess I would not receive any updates while using the beta version? So how do I proceed? Uninstall the beta completely or can I just overwrite it with the market app?

Thanks a lot for your help, Michael.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
burdenofhope said:
Hello there,

I wanted to ask what I am supposed to do with Pleco now being available over the market. Do I have to install Pleco via the Android Market again or do I just keep the Beta 9 running. I guess I would not receive any updates while using the beta version? So how do I proceed? Uninstall the beta completely or can I just overwrite it with the market app?

Thanks a lot for your help, Michael.

Ah yes, I should have put a guide up about this already. Here's what to do:

If you're still running a beta (2.3b3-b9)

1. Open up Android Market
  2. Search for "Pleco" and tap on "Pleco Chinese Dictionary"
  3. Tap on the button to "Update"

If you've already installed 2.3.0 final but want the Market version of it instead

1. Open up the /Android/data/ folder on your SD card.
  2. Rename "com.pleco.chinesesystem" to something different / temporary.
  3. Uninstall Pleco from your device.
  4. Download Pleco from Android Market.
  5. Rename the temporary folder back to "com.pleco.chinesesystem". (delete the newly-created com.pleco.chinesesystem folder if there is one)

In either case, if you've created a lot of flashcards you don't want to lose I'd recommend making a backup copy of your flashcard database (/Android/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem/files/databases/Pleco Flashcard Database.pqb) before doing the upgrade, just in case something goes wrong.

Sarevok

进士
I can't upgrade to the Market version - Pleco doesn't show up in the Market neither on my phone (both with China Unicom and O2 SIM cards) nor on my tablet (both running on custom ROMs). It shows up just fine in the web version of the Market, but both of my devices are grayed out (i.e. unsupported) there...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sarevok said:
I can't upgrade to the Market version - Pleco doesn't show up in the Market neither on my phone (both with China Unicom and O2 SIM cards) nor on my tablet (both running on custom ROMs). It shows up just fine in the web version of the Market, but both of my devices are grayed out (i.e. unsupported) there...

It looks like they're filtering out apps with in-app billing from China like they do paid apps... rather irritating, and it would be nice if they'd actually mention this in their documentation somewhere. We'll work around this in our next update either either by putting in-app billing in a separate "extension store" app or by releasing an IAB-free app in the no-paid-app markets, but in the meantime I'm afraid you're stuck with the non-Market version.

Sarevok

进士
Inserting my Czech O2 SIM Card always did the trick for paid apps before (and once purchased, those apps became available for my tablet as well, showing in the My Apps screen as "Not-Installed"), but it doesn't seem to work in this case. Feature-wise, there is no major difference between those versions, right? If that's the case, then it's not a big deal for me...

I upgraded from beta 9 successfully, and also the free handwriting module activated successfully.
I also bought the OCR plug-in, and it successfully activated! BTW, I already had the demo installed, then purchased it on the market.

I'm running a on a Droid 1 with Peter Alfonso's Bugless Beast (V. GPA19) ASOP 2.3.7

Thanks Mike and team, for the 10+ years of great Pleco software!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sarevok said:
Inserting my Czech O2 SIM Card always did the trick for paid apps before (and once purchased, those apps became available for my tablet as well, showing in the My Apps screen as "Not-Installed"), but it doesn't seem to work in this case. Feature-wise, there is no major difference between those versions, right? If that's the case, then it's not a big deal for me...

Can you check if the new alternate app posted here downloads correctly?

thefriendlygeek said:
I upgraded from beta 9 successfully, and also the free handwriting module activated successfully.
I also bought the OCR plug-in, and it successfully activated! BTW, I already had the demo installed, then purchased it on the market.

I'm running a on a Droid 1 with Peter Alfonso's Bugless Beast (V. GPA19) ASOP 2.3.7

Thanks Mike and team, for the 10+ years of great Pleco software!

Great! Thanks for the report. Particularly on in-app purchasing since that's the one thing we couldn't beta-test - if you notice any glitches buying / restoring items in the future we'd love to hear about them.

Sarevok

进士
mikelove said:
Can you check if the new alternate app posted here downloads correctly?

I tried it today and I somehow managed to download and install the normal (non-CN) version via the Market app in my phone. No SIM card switching, no Market Enablers or VPN connections involved. The Market was acting kinda wacky today, the web version constantly switched between different languages on each refresh...