Feature Suggestions

mfcb

状元
hope its not too late for my idea to enter into 2.0.2 b2 :wink: i would like to have the headword colored in flashcard tests, that means, before i reveal the card... i just wonder, that nobody had the idea before...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
renovator - great! Was this with the new "require filled" option enabled or did the problem go away even without that?

mfcb - that's actually done deliberately, because we don't want to give away any of the Pinyin if it's not already revealed - if we left them colored then you wouldn't have to guess about the correct tones before revealing / answering the card. Or is there some other benefit to coloring them that I've missed?

renovator

榜眼
mikelove said:
renovator - great! Was this with the new "require filled" option enabled or did the problem go away even without that?

Hi Mike:

Nope, the problem with the screen bounce went away as soon as I installed 2.0.2b1!!! The whole flashcard system is much more stable now. I have not yet tried checking the "required filled" option and don't plan to do this unless the bounce problem returns.

What I did try, however, was to go to the next card and then just hit enter and that does turn the box red and count the card incorrect as it should because I did not enter any pinyin in the required box. The important matter, however, is that the card no longer tries to go forward incorrectly on its own.

I have done about 1500 cards in the past 2 days without so much as 1 bounce so it is now not only more pleasurable to do many cards at one sitting but I can do about 10%-15% more cards each hour because I don't have to input the pinyin so gingerly. If I previously input the cards the way I do now at higher speed, I would get a bounce every 20 - 25 cards.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

jiacheng

榜眼
I think that maybe you should calculate something like the inverse mean as well as the mean on the statistics screen. I think this would give you a more accurate idea of how many cards per day you will be assigned using the repitition spaced algorithm. i.e if a card is 5000, then it would be shown about once every 50 days, or an average of 0.02 times per day.

Also, I think it would be cool if there was an option to calculate statistics on an arbitrary set of groups instead of a single group. Or, maybe the groups currently selected for testing in the current profile.

mfcb

状元
mikelove said:
mfcb - that's actually done deliberately, because we don't want to give away any of the Pinyin if it's not already revealed - if we left them colored then you wouldn't have to guess about the correct tones before revealing / answering the card. Or is there some other benefit to coloring them that I've missed?
the point you are missing is that i can have flashcard sessions, that show me the headword + pinyin, headword + definition and others. so why not the headword + tone color? i am a pretty much graphical type of person, and after some time i would see the characters coloured, even when they are really in black (f.i. in the newspaper). i think it would help me remember the tones more easily.
as it is now, i see the colors only a very short time, as most times i just click through the huge lists i have to finish every day. right now i could not even tell from memory whats the color for first tone...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
renovator - great! And you're very welcome! Though I'm still not sure why it would have changed so dramatically, we didn't do much to the flashcard UI code in general. If you turn on that "require filled" option, that will keep it from checking the card / leaving empty boxes red too.

jiacheng - both good ideas; presenting more useful statistical information in a more accessible way will go a long way towards making the UI less confusing.

mfcb - that makes sense, treat them like any other specialized field. We'd also really like to get character coloring working in example sentences - most of them have Pinyin anyway, after all, though a lot of the files aren't really coded well enough to make matching up Pinyin to characters easy.

jiacheng

榜眼
Simplified <-> Traditional auto conversion.

It would be nice if upon the import of words that have only one form, if we could configure pleco to make a best guess of what the alternate form is. If there are any ambiguities in the mappings, then it could prompt the user to pick which form(s) are valid.

This function could also be accessible from the flashcard/definition editor.

sthubbar

榜眼
BTW, Mike the link you posted above announcing that 2.0.2b1 was released is great. The reason it is great is because I am following this thread and automatically am notified that something new has happened. If a new post is made saying 2.0.2b2 has been release I don't see it, and I don't think I want to know about every new post.

My feature suggestion is that when new releases come out would you post a small note like above in the latest version thread. For example, when 2.0.2b is out maybe post in the 2.0.2b1 bug thread. Or just post them here.

Thanks.

renovator

榜眼
mikelove said:
renovator - great! And you're very welcome! Though I'm still not sure why it would have changed so dramatically, we didn't do much to the flashcard UI code in general. If you turn on that "require filled" option, that will keep it from checking the card / leaving empty boxes red too.

Hi Mike:

I have now tested the require filled option for a few days and it works fine but a note will have to be added to the instructions as sometimes a pinyin box needs to be left intentionally blank and you still want to advance to the next card. This happens for cards with characters like 周and 柑橘 where there are 2 boxes generated for 周and 橘 as there are 2 variations of the character. In order to do this, just click on the empty box on the keyboard (see attachment) when you get to the box that needs to be left intentionally blank and then the card is allowed to advance, even when empty with the required option checked.

Attachments

• Pleco.jpg
    Pleco.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 2,055

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
jiacheng - it already does that when you're mapping them to dictionary entries, actually, using the SC/TC versions of those entries. I suppose we could support it in other places too, though if we're going to the trouble of designing all of that new UI we'd probably also want to add the ability to fill in Pinyin. This might all make sense as part of the support for sentence-length flashcards / database entries that we're looking to add in a future release. (always think big)

sthubbar - good point, I'll try to remember to post something in one of those threads anyway.

renovator - you're seeing extra boxes on those cards? I can't duplicate that here - that's actually a bug, though I guess adding that space would be a reasonable workaround for it.

renovator

榜眼
mikelove said:
renovator - you're seeing extra boxes on those cards? I can't duplicate that here - that's actually a bug, though I guess adding that space would be a reasonable workaround for it.

Yes, I see the extra boxes and have been using the workaround I suggested for those cards. Workaround works fine. Let me know if you need (Want) to know what any/all of my settings are. These are in Repitition-Spaced, Calendar, learned if score >=101 random prioritized driven cards. Display also has force character set:Simplified, Definition parts:Show All

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... how early did you start using the 2.0 beta-test versions? It could be that those /ed characters weren't being stripped out of the flashcard database entries like they were supposed to - if you run all of your cards through the "rebuild" option in Manage Flashcards (go to the Batch screen, select "Rebuild" from the "Remap to dict" menu and tap the "Remap to dict" button) that might clean them up. (you should definitely back up your flashcards before doing that, though)

renovator

榜眼
mikelove said:
Hmm... how early did you start using the 2.0 beta-test versions? It could be that those /ed characters weren't being stripped out of the flashcard database entries like they were supposed to - if you run all of your cards through the "rebuild" option in Manage Flashcards (go to the Batch screen, select "Rebuild" from the "Remap to dict" menu and tap the "Remap to dict" button) that might clean them up. (you should definitely back up your flashcards before doing that, though)

OK, will do that and keep you posted. I use the 2.0 beta-test versions as soon as you release them :D

sthubbar

榜眼
How about localizing Pleco? There are so many Chinese who want to learn English and Pleco is a great dictionary, with so many ways to look up entries, plus the definitions are good English, rather than Chinglish. :wink:

renovator

榜眼
renovator said:
mikelove said:

OK, will do that and keep you posted. I use the 2.0 beta-test versions as soon as you release them :D

Did the Batch>Rebuild>Remap to dict twice. First time to unihan and it changed nothing and did not give me the definitions I wanted so remapped again to ABC. It did not fix previous entries that were in flash cards and had been served up with the extra boxes, but it did fix new entries. What it did was to keep the cards with the extra boxes and put them in the USR dictionary. So now if I create a new card with 径 from the ABC, I no longer get the extra boxes, but the old card with the extra boxes still remains and is now in USR. I now need to be able to find a way to go into manage flashcards and fix this but not quite sure how yet as when I remove the extra character in the USR and then select ABC system tells me duplicate card will be created. I don't want to lose the statistics on the original card.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sthubbar - I'm not convinced we could make any money selling to the Chinese market; we'd either have to set the price to something ridiculously low like $1 or $2 (which could end up cannibalizing our sales everywhere else) or we'd have 9 paying customers and 100,000 pirates.

renovator - did you actually choose "Rebuild" from the menu next to "Remap to Dict"? (it's the bottom item) You should have selected that instead of ABC or Unihan - I'd recommend that you restore your backed-up flashcard database, then run that command with "Rebuild" - that doesn't change any dictionary links, it just reads out the current headword / pinyin fields from the already-linked dictionary entries and updates each card with them.

renovator

榜眼
mikelove said:
did you actually choose "Rebuild" from the menu next to "Remap to Dict"? (it's the bottom item) You should have selected that instead of ABC or Unihan - I'd recommend that you restore your backed-up flashcard database, then run that command with "Rebuild" - that doesn't change any dictionary links, it just reads out the current headword / pinyin fields from the already-linked dictionary entries and updates each card with them.

Sorry, Mike I must be really dense as I just can't seem to find the "rebuild option. Attached you will find the screen that comes up. If I click on Remap to dict. I also do not get a sub-menu with a "rebuild" option. If I click on the remap dict. I get either: "This will attempt to remap all of the search result flashcards to a new dictionary – are you sure?" if apply changes is for all search results or "This will attempt to remap ALL of your flashcards to a new dictionary – are you sure?" if apply changes to all cards.

Attachments

• Pleco4.JPG
    Pleco4.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 2,304

renovator

榜眼
OK, Finally did find it at the bottom of all the dicts. I was expecting to see another button to click rather than a dict option for rebuild.

renovator

榜眼
Mike:

Did the rebuild and now the card still shows up with the 2 boxes but I am allowed to advance to the next card without having to click on the bottom right hand empty box on the keyboard. What I would really like now is to be able to remap this card to the ABC dictionary so I don't lose my statistics but get the ABC definition rather than just the word Jing which is what shows up in the USR dict. Any way to do that?

Attachments

• Pleco5.JPG
    Pleco5.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 2,435

daniel123

榜眼
There are two things that would help me very much:

1) I would like to search flascards by definition. Or ist that already possible and I missed something?

2) When opening IA window and I forgot first to close the virtual keyboard I cannot scroll the entry and I first have to close IA, close the keyboard and reopen IA. Is there a way to make it more compfortable? Maybe beeing able to close the keyboard even when a IA window is opened or to autoclose the keyboard?

THX

Daniel