Treo 700W - high resolution?

Brad

I'm thinking of purchasing a Treo 700w (the Windows version), but I'm concerned about the screen resolution. Coming from a 480x320 screen, I'm quite used to running Pleco with high resolution fonts. The 700w's 240x240 screen is an odd size. In Palm terms it's rather in between a Treo 600 and a 650. Would this be roughly akin to a "high resolution" or is it essentially a low resolution font, where I would have to magnify everything all the time?

The "screen shots" page on the website for the PPC version appear to be a usable resolution to me. Would you happen to know what screen size those were taken from?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Those shots were 240x320, which is the standard Pocket PC resolution. On a Treo 700w, the bottom quarter of the screen would be cut off - if you look at the screenshot of the handwriting recognizer screen and imagine that the menu bar is right below the "Exit" button, that will give you some idea of what 240x240 looks like. The font is a little closer to Palm OS high-resolution than low-resolution, but on Pocket PC you can set the font to whatever size you like, so as long as you don't mind scrolling in long entries you should be able to pick a font size where you don't have to squint.

That being said, I continue to feel that the user experience on Palm is considerably better than on Pocket PC. Particularly in the area of installation; PlecoDict is almost ludicrously complicated to install on Pocket PC while on Palm it's usually quite easy. So depending on your level of computer ability it might be worthwhile to consider a Treo 700p as an alternative to a 700w.

Brad

Thanks, Mike. That really helps a lot. Picking a single device/provider for phone, pda and wireless access is an unbelievably complex decision. It's an exercise in compromise. On the pda side, Pleco is the single most important function to me, so I don't take your recommendations lightly.

Thanks for your help!