“普利科欢迎您“ in landscape orientation

Shun

状元
Hi,

in the Dictionaries' Handwriting Recognition screen, it may be a nice gimmick if Pleco welcomed the user not with

普利
科欢
迎您

(横排, horizontal text flow)

but with

欢普
迎利
您科

(纵排, vertical text flow right-to-left).

I think that would look more decorative and pay tribute to the traditional way of writing.

Right now, it looks like this:

pleco welcome.png

What does everyone think?

Thanks!

rizen suha

状元
(on a related note) ... and if the reader could flow text (eg epub) that way ... would make everything look so much better both in portrait and in landscape :-D

Shun

状元
True, that could make many people happy, too. What once was a lot of work to change, a computer can now do in an instant. :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Maybe, but TBH with the iPhone X running anything that isn’t a media app or game in landscape is a decidedly unpleasant experience so I’m not inclined to spend a whole lot of time optimizing for that going forward.

Reversing EPUB: possible, that one would be a question of demand.

Shun

状元
Yeah, though it would be just one small change, not a complete optimization. And the "notch" is going to get smaller in future models, so landscape may become more attractive again.

I think it would also be cool if there was an option to display regular text files in vertical, not just EPUB. The demand for that might be greater.

Last edited: