2.0.4 Beta 4 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

HW60

状元
HW60 said:
I still have no idea under which conditions the HWR seems to scratch the characters. It seems that during "Repeat incorrect at end" the writing is smooth, while it was scratchy during the normal session. Maybe that holding the PDA (HTC Touch HD) in one hand (instead of placing it on a table) and writing with the other has a negative impact, but these are only first impressions.
The scratching of characters seems to have to do with my software keyboards: with keyboard options like "auto-completion of words" or "automatic correction of words" the scratching can be partly switched on or off, even if the keyboards are only selected but not active (like in Free-answer sessions with "ask for headword" when the keyboard is not used at all). The best results (no scratching at all, very smooth input) I have when I select my Japanese keyboard and activate it (= show it), but do not use it - whoever knows why. At any rate for me the problem is solved, even if I do not understand why.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Wan - interesting; that should explain it then. Not sure if we'll be able to come up with a fix that doesn't bring back the too-many-files-open bug, though, so given WM's excellent multitasking abilities we may end up leaving this as is.

HW60 - that fits with other reports in this thread; seems like for whatever reason some keyboards do funny things to screen input that screw up handwriting strokes. Might involve finger input in some way, the optimizations to map thumb taps to keys more accurately could also be preventing pen movements from showing up in Pleco correctly.

HW60

状元
mikelove said:
HW60 - that fits with other reports in this thread; seems like for whatever reason some keyboards do funny things to screen input that screw up handwriting strokes. Might involve finger input in some way, the optimizations to map thumb taps to keys more accurately could also be preventing pen movements from showing up in Pleco correctly.
Somewhat astonishing though, that the japanese keyboard has no problem at all writing really soft lines and even helps Pleco writing softer lines than normally.