2.0.8 Beta 1 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Post any bug reports / feedback on the newest beta here. Feedback on the flashcard / user dictionary changes is especially welcome, we know there are some big shifts there and that they might represent a major adjustment for some people.

HW60

状元
Looking at the huge amount of changes this almost seems to deserve a 2.1! Some observations from the first 30 minutes of testing:

- I installed flashcards and user dict to SD card without problems
- during user dict upgrade the counting of cards shows that something is happening, and the upgrade button was erased afterwards; a similar action would be "nice to have" during and after flashcard upgrade, but there is no initial response from Pleco, and a second "upgrade" seems to possible too. Only after you left preferences/flashcards there is no more chance to upgrade flashcards again.
- user dict is working in Compounds now!
- the Card Filter "correct in row" is long awaited, but needs a "<=" button - to test only unknown cards, I would like to select "correct in row < 3"
- I have problems to test flashcards: after changing scoring type from Old Automatic to Automatic (without really knowing what would be the result, because this seems to be a very powerfull tool) I got the message "No more cards are due for review right now. Would you like to ...". I changed back to Old Automatic and Frequency adjust, but still got the same message. Even with Test Type Review Only I got the same message, also after changing scoring type to None. I suggest a button "Return to initial values" for those who are lost like me; maybe an additional button "save as initial user values" for those who found a configuration they are satisfied with.

At any rate: lots of improvements to come!

mfcb

状元
repetition-spaced session, repeat wrong answered, shuffle: at the end of a 52 card session (answered "cancel" to end the session) it repeated the wrong answered cards just as expected in random order, but the card count was still 1/52, 2/52... in fact it was just 5 or 6 wrong cards...

otherwise i noticed, that the flashcard UI is somewhat "slower" now, but i still did not convert my databases and there might have been some other problem, will tell, if it does not improve in the next few days.

another thing, the tone sandhi must be switched on somewhere? must check the readme again, but i think i saw at least 2 or 3 flash-cards, where i would have expected the 2 consecutive 3rd tones to be modified... ok, found it, :roll:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 - thanks! It would be tough to provide a status counter for the flashcard upgrade, unfortunately - it's easy with a user dictionary because most of the upgrade time is spent re-indexing individual entries, which are easy to track, but with the flashcard upgrade we just issue one big command to SQLite and it does the rest; we should probably at least have some sort of a wait cursor there, though.

For "correct in row," couldn't you just select "# reviewed <" something? Thanks to the way the flashcard database is structured it would actually be a little tricky to search for < a certain number of cards in a row in the card history.

You can restore a profile entirely to its default settings via Manage Profiles, but adding something to roll back settings changed since the last time you opened Pleco might be interesting... hmm. As far as the no-cards-due message, though, did you get that exact same message with frequency or did you get a different message telling you that there were just no cards available at all?

mfcb - thanks, just fixed that count bug (there's a separate card count we added for repetition-spaced, since it now has that option to continue testing, and that card count was being used even during repeat incorrect).

I'm not sure why the flashcard UI would feel slower, aside from adding those new options we didn't even really even alter it much - is there any particular area that seems slower now?

mfcb

状元
upgrade of userdict: when the user dict is locked, it takes a long time, until pleco responds again, and the userdict is still not upgraded. i somehow managed to press that upgrade button at least twice (at least it counted twice from 1 to 321 for the radicals dictionary, even the upgrade button was already invisible for the second time) and the "lock" of the dictionary after upgrade took about the same time as the upgrade (normal?)...

mfcb

状元
mikelove said:
I'm not sure why the flashcard UI would feel slower, aside from adding those new options we didn't even really even alter it much - is there any particular area that seems slower now?

right now everything feels slower, better i give it a soft-reset, don't want to make you nervous about that ;)

EDIT: reboot solved my "speed" problems... reason might be, that i managed to start pleco twice !?!?!? maybe i double pressed the shortcut a second time before it came up and the second instance made the first one "slow"... after reboot everything fine...

daniel123

榜眼
Thanx Mike, great new release. All in all so many great new things. It was worth waiting. Like it very much!

WM 6.5 now works much better for me. The shuffle option is a very good help. The tone sandhi change is also a great improvement for me. Still many things for me to explore...

Here are some problems I found:

1)
mikelove in Announcement 2.0.8 Beta 1 said:
Added an optional "Undo" button in flashcards; this will roll back any changes made to the card's score / review history.

If the answer was correct the undo works great but if the answer was wrong the undo does not seem to change anything.

2)
Also, when a repetition-spaced test ends you'll now be informed that you no longer have any cards due but offered the option to continue testing with cards that aren't due yet, with an additional option to not record scores for any of those cards

a) Sorry, that I have to report another WM 6.5 problem: there is no cancel button any more (the x at the right corner of the box is missing) . The result is that I just can choose between yes and no. Any other chance to cancel this box?

b) I wonder why the same box ("No more cards are due for review right now ...") comes at the beginning of a Frequency adjust session. Just after going on I see any cards for studying.

3)
Along with priority, added two related options; one to force include a card in your "manage unlearned" pool, and another to exclude a card from all sessions (though this only applies to your current scorefile).

I see "exclude a card from all sessions" but I cannot find the option "manage unlearned". Did I misunderstand something? How can I manage the unlearned pool? By changing the priority or is there anything else?

4)
Added a "stop on partial match" option in Preferences

Sorry I did not find this option in Preferences.

mfcb

状元
daniel123 said:
a) Sorry, that I have to report another WM 6.5 problem: there is no cancel button any more (the x at the right corner of the box is missing) . The result is that I just can choose between yes and no. Any other chance to cancel this box?
hmmm, i also use wm6.5 but i see a window with 3 buttons in a row at the bottom of the dialog window... this seems to change very much between versions, because since my last rom-update also all my "list-window" problems are gone...

on the memory/resource front i must tell, that the HTC Album still is not happy with pleco running at the same time, but after some short tests yesterday i found, that i can have about 5 programs running in parallel, including pleco, haha. this included also 2 programs, that previously refused to start properly, when pleco was running... so, its better, but not completely solved...

HW60

状元
mikelove said:
HW60 - For "correct in row," couldn't you just select "# reviewed <" something? Thanks to the way the flashcard database is structured it would actually be a little tricky to search for < a certain number of cards in a row in the card history.
From time to time I would like to test those flashcards that are "not learned" according to the Manage Flashcards/Statistics information. There I find Cards Learned according to either definition (I usually choose last x answers correct) from Advanced Settings/Cards and Total Cards. Cards Not Learned is just that part of Total Cards which does not belong to Cards Learned. The new Card Filter "correct in row" or "incorrect in row" only makes sense, if it looks at the last answers; it is not very useful to look at cards which I tested 20 times and the 5th and 6th answer in row were correct or incorrect. But if at least one of the 18th, 19th and 20th answer is not correct this card belongs to Not Learned. So the name of this button in Card Filter could be "Cards Not Learned" referring to the definition in Advanced Settings/Cards, or "Last x Cards not correct in row".
No special Card Filter is necessary for the other definition of Cards Learned (Score >= xxx): the Score Filter does the job!

Alexis

状元
A couple bugs:

1) The "Radicals" dictionary that is posted elsewhere on this forum does not "Update" (In the Manage Dictionaries -> Configure screen).

2) When reviewing flashcards using repitition-spacing: If you continue to review after completing all cards for the day, and then later stop and choose to review incorrect cards (the "yes" option), the total number of wrong cards is incorrect. It looks like it is adding the number of "extra reviewed" to the total of "total incorrect" cards.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
mfcb - eek, actually didn't do much testing with upgrading to the new index in locked dictionaries - I think for now we'll put up an error message saying that a dictionary has to be unlocked before it can be upgraded. Strange that you managed to start Pleco twice; the first thing Pleco does when it starts up is check whether another instance of it is already running and, if it is, switch to that instance and exit, so this would require rather precise timing...

daniel123 - thanks! Glad you like it.

With undo not working for incorrect answers, if you look at the Card Info after undo'ing, does it seem to have reverted to its old, pre-incorrect-answer score / history / etc? Perhaps there's a bug that causes flashcards to still be reviewed as incorrect at the end even if their incorrect answers were undone.

So you only see Yes and No in that no-cards-due box? Are there any X / cancel buttons at the bottom of the screen? Exactly which WM version / custom ROM name are you running now?

With the no-cards-due error on the frequency test, I'm not able to reproduce that here - how exactly are your session settings configured otherwise? Number of cards, any card filters, "limit unlearned," etc.

"Manage unlearned" is an option in Advanced Settings / Cards; it will limit the number of unlearned cards eligible to come up in each session to a set amount, only adding new ones once existing cards have been promoted to learned. So if you have a list of 5000 new words you want to learn, but you don't want to split them up into subcategories and you can't deal with them all at once, you enable "manage unlearned" and then Pleco will make sure you're not working on too many of them at the same time.

"Stop on partial match" actually ended up with a shorter label on WM, "Partial OK" wedged in next to "Search Dicts" in the "Results" panel in Preferences.

mfcb again - I'm glad things improved on the open programs front. Unfortunately, we really can't pare down the number of files Pleco opens anymore, so I'm wondering whether there's some other issue at fault with HTC Album - have you seen any reports of / had any experience with HTC Album conflicting with other programs? Which ones?

HW60 - oh, "correct in row" actually does only look at the last few answers, or at least it should; if you answered the card correctly three times in a row a long time ago it doesn't count, the last three answers have to have been correct for "correct in row" "3" to let the card through. (if it's not working that way for you, let me know - maybe there's another bug)

Alexis - if you "Unlock" the radical dictionary, does it update then? The card count issue should be fixed in the next beta, it was indeed a glitch in the way we were calculating the total # of cards for repetition-spaced sessions.

HW60

状元
mikelove said:
HW60 - oh, "correct in row" actually does only look at the last few answers, or at least it should; if you answered the card correctly three times in a row a long time ago it doesn't count, the last three answers have to have been correct for "correct in row" "3" to let the card through. (if it's not working that way for you, let me know - maybe there's another bug)
I prepared a test base, created a new category and added 4 cards to test with (creation date 10 days ago). Unfortunately the new Card Filter test was impossible: even with the completely new card set I got the message "no more cards are due for review right now. Would you like to * continue ... * review ... * stop ...?". Test parameters were
1 new category with 4 cards; all cards; Free-answer; no Card Filter; Frequency adjust; don't repeat cards in session; learned if correct in row 3; prioritize by random; Old Automatic; agressiveness 3; difficulty scaling none

I said "yes" to start testing and changed the date of the PDA after each session to get the score adjusted. Now I have 4 cards with a test history of
a) 2:0 ++ (not learned)
b) 6:2 ++-+++-+ (not learned)
c) 5:2 +-+-+++ (learned)
d) 4:2 --++++ (learned)
The Statistics is Total Cards 4, Cards learned 2 as expected.

As I always get the above message I cannot test the new Card Filter "Learned / Unlearned" now. The question is however: what is the right input for testing the cards not learned? "Correct in row 3" should result in 2 cards c) and d), but I would like to test a) and b). The opposite of "Correct in row 3" is obviously not "Incorrect in row 3", but "at least 1 incorrect in row 3 and at least 3 tests", or has "Uncorrect in row 3" exactly that meaning?

mfcb

状元
i had some test with the "undo" feature, during rep-spaced, manual scoring session.

undo of correct answered card resets the score to what it was before and the card comes up again after i ended the session (with still some cards to do and starting the session again later). so this seems to be working...

but with undo of an incorrect card, the cardscore did not change back and when i ended the session, the card came up in the repeat incorrect cards (showing the still reduced score). so it seems that undo of incorrect cards is not working...

regarding the memory/resource fix. i am quite happy with how it is like now. i only check the HTC album, because it was mentioned by someone else (Daniel?). in fact i dont mind if its not working along with pleco. i remember, that i read some time ago, that its a very memory intensive app, and that it opens a lot of files, so maybe many apps cant work with it together. but my problem from before, that i also could not start almost any .net app when pleco was running seems to be gone. one of the most important apps i use (when pleco is running) is one that redirects audio to my bluetooth headset. in the last few months i always had to start this app first, to switch on audio over BT, then i start pleco, to listen my flashcards...
now i can start this app when pleco is running, and it does not hang itself or terminate pleco... and i even had another .net app running at the same time, definitely impossible before. :lol:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 - ah, that explains why I wasn't seeing that message; there was a bug that caused that "no cards due" message to come up at the start of sessions, but it specifically affected Random and Fixed but not Frequency-adjusted sessions. However, when you select "All" for number of cards, that turns Frequency-adjusted into Random; we decided to leave All in as an option for frequency adjusted based on feedback received during the 2.0 betas, but by definition if you're seeing all available cards then frequency adjustment is irrelevant since you want to see every card once.

Anyway, the bug in Random / Fixed should be fixed in the soon-to-be-released Beta 2. And you're right, we really need a "not correct in row" and "not incorrect in row" option along with correct in row / incorrect in row; we'll see if that can be added in Beta 2 as well.

mfcb - yeah, I'm seeing that undo bug here too now - it looks like there was a glitch in the way card IDs were being stored in the undo history for incorrect cards. Anyway, should be fixed in Beta 2, thanks! I'm glad the memory fix has made a difference, it'd certainly be nice to get HTC Album working too but that might be impossible - I didn't realize the problem was severe enough to impact all / nearly all .net apps, if we'd known that we probably would have tried to fix it sooner.

daniel123

榜眼
mikelove said:
With undo not working for incorrect answers, if you look at the Card Info after undo'ing, does it seem to have reverted to its old, pre-incorrect-answer score / history / etc?

No, after a wrong answer and undo nothing changes. After a correct answer it instead restores the previous values.

mikelove said:
So you only see Yes and No in that no-cards-due box? Are there any X / cancel buttons at the bottom of the screen? Exactly which WM version / custom ROM name are you running now?

Right I just see Yes and No. Nothing else even not at the bottom. I use WM 6.5, no custom ROM. The version that come with the Phone (first published by Acer in November 2009).

mikelove said:
With the no-cards-due error on the frequency test, I'm not able to reproduce that here - how exactly are your session settings configured otherwise? Number of cards, any card filters, "limit unlearned," etc.

I will send you my flashcard database. Maybe you can reproduce it using it.

daniel123

榜眼
mfcb said:
regarding the memory/resource fix. i am quite happy with how it is like now. i only check the HTC album, because it was mentioned by someone else (Daniel?).

I am also quite happy with this fix. Before this fix, I had problems with many programs specially SPB Mobile Shell and Opera 10. Now I did not found any of those problems anymore (but I do not have HTC album). Anyway this is really a great improvement that gives me the chance back not to close all my running programs before starting Pleco.

HW60

状元
I increased my test category by 2 cards, so I could choose 5 as the smallest number of cards below "All", and this time the above message did not appear! The Card Filter Correct in row 3 worked, selecting exactly the cards learned (c) and (d). Incorrect in row 3 however did not show any cards (no flashcards were found). That Filter should show all cards that do not belong to correct in row 3, and then deserves a different name.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Great! The problem should be fixed entirely in the just-posted Beta 2, though for future reference, it's OK to pick 5 cards even if you have fewer than 5 (or 20 if you have fewer than 20, etc).