Add traditional characters to simplified character flashcard

Petter

Hi!

I’ve been studying Chinese on and off for two and a half years now, and I have a list of flashcards based on the textbooks I’ve been using. In total it’s 3213 cards, almost all of them custom made with simplified characters. It appears that I’m going to Taiwan next year to study, so I need to learn traditional characters too. Is there a way to add traditional characters to them without having to manually edit each card? I don’t want to convert them to dictionary-based cards.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Regards
Petter

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Re: Add traditional characters to simplified character flash

Petter said:
I’ve been studying Chinese on and off for two and a half years now, and I have a list of flashcards based on the textbooks I’ve been using. In total it’s 3213 cards, almost all of them custom made with simplified characters. It appears that I’m going to Taiwan next year to study, so I need to learn traditional characters too. Is there a way to add traditional characters to them without having to manually edit each card? I don’t want to convert them to dictionary-based cards.

Not within Pleco at the moment, for pretty much the same reason that we don't fill in the Pinyin with cards that aren't dictionary linked - we don't necessarily know what the correct traditional version would be, and we don't want to get it wrong. There might be multiple traditional equivalents for the simplified characters on your card, and we won't necessarily know which one matches the card's definition if the Pinyin is the same.

You could, however, run them through some sort of simplified-traditional converter online and then manually check them against the definitions before importing them into Pleco - this sort of conversion isn't unique to us.

Petter

If there is more than one traditional equivalent for each simplified character this might be more complicated than I thought. :( Thanks for the tip with online converter. I will see if it is possible to automate the process.

HW60

状元

In viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2617 there is a text file with more than 1500 both traditional and simplified characters which you can use in Excel to add traditional characters to your simplified.