Adding notes to dictionary entries

kiraven

举人
hey all,
I am looking for an easy way to add notes to dictionary entries. For example, if I get information on the difference between two near synonyms, or the correct usage of an word, which is not covered by the installed dictionaries, I want to add that explanation.
My first thought was to use an user dictionary for that purpose. The problem than is that if I create a new user entry, I manually have to enter the correct traditional, simplified characters and pinyin manually, and exactly like in the normal dictionary, otherwise it want appear in row with the entry which I want expand.

Is there another way to reach something equivalent? The ideal way would be an possibility to create a custom dictionary entry out of a normal dictionary entry, thus copying character and pinyin fields, leaving free the definition field for my own explanations.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
kiraven said:
I am looking for an easy way to add notes to dictionary entries. For example, if I get information on the difference between two near synonyms, or the correct usage of an word, which is not covered by the installed dictionaries, I want to add that explanation.
My first thought was to use an user dictionary for that purpose. The problem than is that if I create a new user entry, I manually have to enter the correct traditional, simplified characters and pinyin manually, and exactly like in the normal dictionary, otherwise it want appear in row with the entry which I want expand.

Is there another way to reach something equivalent? The ideal way would be an possibility to create a custom dictionary entry out of a normal dictionary entry, thus copying character and pinyin fields, leaving free the definition field for my own explanations.

An actual dictionary annotation feature is coming, probably around the end of the year, but for right now the only way to simplify things with the user dictionary option would be a slightly awkward hack involving flashcards:

1) Create a new flashcard for each dictionary entry you want to add notes to.
2) Go into Organize Cards and turn that card into a custom card, which will be pre-populated with the characters / pinyin / definition from the dictionary entry.
3) Edit the definition text to turn it into your notes.
4) Save the edited text, then tap on the button to convert the card to a user dictionary entry.

gabor

探花
mikelove said:
1) Create a new flashcard for each dictionary entry you want to add notes to.
2) Go into Organize Cards and turn that card into a custom card, which will be pre-populated with the characters / pinyin / definition from the dictionary entry.
3) Edit the definition text to turn it into your notes.
4) Save the edited text, then tap on the button to convert the card to a user dictionary entry.

Does this work on iOS as well?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
gabor said:
Does this work on iOS as well?

Yes, works exactly the same way. Not something we ever specifically added (hence the awkward procedure) but a decent workaround until our "real" notes feature arrives.

erzangel

A real notes feature would be really great.

For many characters I invent stories of what they could describe in order to memorize their meaning. Would be perfect if I could add notes without having to make flashcards custom ones.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
erzangel said:
For many characters I invent stories of what they could describe in order to memorize their meaning. Would be perfect if I could add notes without having to make flashcards custom ones.

Definitely in the offing, and it's actually gotten a lot easier with some of the support code we've written for merged multi-dict searches.