Adding Search Results to User Dictionary

LinZheFu

进士
Adding words to the user dictionary on the iPad was easy - just click on the pen icon to add my current search string. That button is missing in Android. I've created a user dictionary, but I don't see any way to simply add a phrase I'm looking at to that dictionary. Why not provide the same functionality?

I see that I can add an entry by copying text, then going through many steps in settings to reach Browse all dictionary entries and then create a new entry. Why not make it a one-step process like it is on the iPad?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That was a new feature we just added on iOS in version 3.0, and we're not sure if it's going to be popular enough yet to put it on Android - it's actually a placeholder for a separate 'notes' feature we're also planning to add. (it just happens that our merged dictionary interface on iOS makes a user dictionary entry a convenient approximation of a 'note')

However, you can get this in a reasonably streamlined way on Android by tapping twice on the + button (once to create a flashcard, once to bring up the duplicate card prompt) and selecting Card Info, "Convert to Custom Card," editing your card as desired, then after you return to Card Info tapping "Convert to user dictionary entry." 7 taps instead of 2, but no tedious copy-and-pasting or flipping between different parts of the app at least.

LinZheFu

进士
Thanks for the prompt response. I'm using Pleco 2.2.14 on an IPad 1 that offers no hope of upgrading to Pleco 3. But the feature to add characters to the user dictionary has been there for at least a year, so I don't think that the feature I'm talking about is new to 3.0 since I don't have 3.0.

The process you describe just adds the first character of the string to the card. I can first select the string, copy it, and the paste it into the simplified and traditional fields of the entry, etc. Then I probably also will want to add the step of going into flashcards and deleting the user dictionary entry from the flashcard file where it was added unnecessarily, unless I want that entry as a flashcard. So actually quite a few extra steps. Do hope that the add to user dictionary feature will be included in the future. Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, so you're entering a character search that gets broken down into separate entries and you want to create a new user dictionary entry out of the whole thing? There should actually be a button offering to do that right at the top of the list of search results - is that not there?

LinZheFu

进士
Ah, didn't notice the text "Add to User Dict" which is an active button. Yes, that's what I needed. Was looking for an icon over on the right side. Perfect, thanks!