android/ipad license question

I bought Pleco for my Android phone last year, and am loving it. I just now got an iPad. Are there discounts available for purchasing/licensing Pleco on a second machine, if you've already paid for a full copy of the program?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
murrayjames said:
I bought Pleco for my Android phone last year, and am loving it. I just now got an iPad. Are there discounts available for purchasing/licensing Pleco on a second machine, if you've already paid for a full copy of the program?

If it's on the same platform you can generally do it for free - buy one iOS copy and it's good on every other device that connects to the same iTunes account. Transfers between Android and iOS are a lot harder, though, since we run into all sorts of issues with Apple's / Google's store policies and our copyright licenses with publishers.

Transfers from Palm and Windows Mobile to iOS don't seem to be a problem because we're not really selling many copies of those anymore and so Apple doesn't seem to view it as a case of distributing software outside of iTunes - Palm/WM sales aren't really competing with iTunes ones. With Android, however, we're looking at a situation where people can buy a current, up-to-date Pleco product from a channel other than Apple's and then use it on an Apple device, and we're not sure whether or not Apple will object to that. And we can't find this out by writing them, we can only find it out by trying it and seeing what they do.

So there's no way to do an Android-to-iOS transfer right now, but when our finished, non-beta Android app launches we will probably launch an Android to iOS license transfer form as an experiment (along with an iOS to Android one). Hopefully nobody will have a problem with it and we'll be able to keep offering transfers, but we can't guarantee that that form will still be up and running when you log on to use it. A fallback option we're considering is to let people who purchased the Android version within the last year or so cancel / refund their order after showing us a proof of purchase for the iOS version, but that would mean you'd no longer be able to use Pleco on Android, so it wouldn't help in your case unless you replace your Android phone with an iPhone.

Discounts are completely impossible, unfortunately, since Apple doesn't give us any way to offer user-specific discounts - we have to charge everybody the same price. (hence our "honor system" educational discounts)