Auto-TTS on highlight possible?

Greetings,

I am a new user to Pleco and have to say this software is quite amazing - especially the dictionary search capabilities/paste board/etc. One question I have is whether there is currently an option in Pleco to auto-pronounce the word when highlighting (i.e. from the pasteboard). For example on my PC, I have Lingoes/Powerword set up so that on highlighting a character, the computer TTS voice reads it out automatically. I know that the reading can differ depending on various word combinations but having the TTS voice read out the "regular" pronunciation will help me out a lot! Right now, when I highlight the word in Pasteboard, I have to manually tap on the read button each time to get the voice.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
JesterMania said:
I am a new user to Pleco and have to say this software is quite amazing - especially the dictionary search capabilities/paste board/etc. One question I have is whether there is currently an option in Pleco to auto-pronounce the word when highlighting (i.e. from the pasteboard). For example on my PC, I have Lingoes/Powerword set up so that on highlighting a character, the computer TTS voice reads it out automatically. I know that the reading can differ depending on various word combinations but having the TTS voice read out the "regular" pronunciation will help me out a lot! Right now, when I highlight the word in Pasteboard, I have to manually tap on the read button each time to get the voice.

Nothing like that at the moment - we just added one for OCR for 2.2.2 but I believe you're actually the first person to request this feature for the regular document reader. Wouldn't be difficult to add, I'm just not sure if there'd be sufficient interest - would anybody else reading this be likely to turn on this auto-pronunciation feature?

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the quick reply. I do feel that having this available in the Pasteboard/Document Reader is a nice feature to have. Even though I am getting around with pinyin, I also find it helpful (and quicker) to be able to listen to the sound from a native speaker instantly. That's really one of the features that I always keep activated when using Lingoes/Powerword on the desktop and helps especially with QQ/MSN. Hopefully others agree! :wink:

johnh113

榜眼
mikelove said:
JesterMania said:

Nothing like that at the moment - we just added one for OCR for 2.2.2 but I believe you're actually the first person to request this feature for the regular document reader. Wouldn't be difficult to add, I'm just not sure if there'd be sufficient interest - would anybody else reading this be likely to turn on this auto-pronunciation feature?

Dear Mike,

Listening is a big part of studying for me. Anything that makes it quicker and easier I would use.

John

I'd like to see this feature too, if possible. I almost always hit the audio button whenever I see it, so having an option to make it play automatically would be great. Maybe even play it twice - once male, once female?