Baidu input method

Hello there,

I don't know where else to put this, so I'm just going to open a new thread. One of the first things I installed on my Android device was the Baidu input method, you can download it here: https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... rch_result. I think it is a lot better than the built-in Android input method, there are many different functions but what I like best about it is the excellent handwriting recognition input method. You can tweak a lot of the settings, plus there are also different types of pinyin input methods. Or you can just switch to a normal qwerty keyboard.

I only got a slight problem with it while using Pleco. When I want to look up a word I do the following: after opening Pleco I tap into the search field to activate the keyboard (or in my case the Baidu pinyin or handwriting input method). Now I type for example 盘点 and I get the results. When I tap on the result to read it it does not appear at once but first the input method is closed. With a second tap I can then open the dictionary entry. So my question is, is it possible to somehow avoid that first tap to close the input method? With the normal Android input method there is no second tap, I can open the entry instantly. I only have this problem with Pleco, in all other programs I can click freely without Baidu input closing first. I hope you understand what I mean. Thanks a lot, Michael.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
burdenofhope said:
I only got a slight problem with it while using Pleco. When I want to look up a word I do the following: after opening Pleco I tap into the search field to activate the keyboard (or in my case the Baidu pinyin or handwriting input method). Now I type for example 盘点 and I get the results. When I tap on the result to read it it does not appear at once but first the input method is closed. With a second tap I can then open the dictionary entry. So my question is, is it possible to somehow avoid that first tap to close the input method? With the normal Android input method there is no second tap, I can open the entry instantly. I only have this problem with Pleco, in all other programs I can click freely without Baidu input closing first.

Are you sure about that? I just downloaded the latest version of Baidu on a Galaxy S2 here, and while I am seeing the behavior you mention in Pleco, I'm seeing it in every other program I try Baidu with too; Google search, Browser, Note Pad, Maps, and a couple of other Chinese dictionaries. Is there maybe some option that allows taps to pass through that I'm not seeing? It looks like Baidu intercepts a tap in a blank handwriting box and interprets it as a close command, which is a pretty good idea (actually something we might want to consider ourselves), but if they're consuming that tap then it wouldn't be forwarded to the application window behind it unless they generate another tap to replace it.

Supaiku

举人
I prefer Ksense handwriting input with Google Pinyin over Baidu. To my knowledge, they don't have the same double tap issue.

mikelove said:
It looks like Baidu intercepts a tap in a blank handwriting box and interprets it as a close command, which is a pretty good idea (actually something we might want to consider ourselves), but if they're consuming that tap then it wouldn't be forwarded to the application window behind it unless they generate another tap to replace it.
I'll try and go deeper into the settings, I'll let you know when I find somethings. But thanks for the reply.

Supaiku said:
I prefer Ksense handwriting input with Google Pinyin over Baidu. To my knowledge, they don't have the same double tap issue.
I just installed Ksense but I still prefer Baidu. With Ksense you almost no modifiable settings and what's worse no fullscreen handwriting recognition.

I've been going through all the settings for over one hour but I couldn't find anything so now I've posted something on the baidu board, I hope they understand me. :D I'll keep you posted.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
burdenofhope said:
I've been going through all the settings for over one hour but I couldn't find anything so now I've posted something on the baidu board, I hope they understand me. :D I'll keep you posted.

OK, thanks! So you're quite sure that if you bring up the Baidu input method in Google Search or Maps, tapping in the handwriting box both dismisses it and selects the list item underneath it?

You are right. In Google Maps and most of the other programs it also needs a second tap in order to close, only in my Opera browser it disappears immediately with the first tap. Probably a bug in my browser.

Unfortunately I didn't get an answer in the official chinese Baidu bulletin board, so I guess I just have to live with it.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
burdenofhope said:
You are right. In Google Maps and most of the other programs it also needs a second tap in order to close, only in my Opera browser it disappears immediately with the first tap. Probably a bug in my browser.

Unfortunately I didn't get an answer in the official chinese Baidu bulletin board, so I guess I just have to live with it.

OK. Sorry about that - strange that it would work in Opera, though, perhaps they have some sort of trick for detecting and responding to tap events in those cases.