Beta 1 Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Oops, sorry, was thinking Palm OS when I wrote that for some reason. For Pocket PC the procedure is a bit more complicated, you'd want to use a registry editor (like the free one at http://www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/RegEdit/) to go to registry location HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Pleco Software\Pleco Dictionary and delete all of the keys listed under there to clear out your Pleco settings / unlocking info and start over. If your purchased software all works, though, it's unlikely that would make any difference, so you can probably just ignore the warning for now.

I'm glad the new E-C database is helping, proper nouns have been a source of complaints pretty much since Oxford Dict 1.0 came out in 2001 so it's nice to finally do something about that particular problem.

sfrrr

状元
I've forgotten to comment that I'm not crazy about the interface-=-looks too much like a Palm interface, which means that it looks less evolved, less sophisticated, Maybe it's the un-VGA-ness of its appearance. Just a comment.

Sandra

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well really not much has changed about that aside from the lack of gray shading behind the toolbar area. But I suppose we could bring that back; the current button borders were really just a temporary fix because the icons were too small to fill up the space completely like they do on Palm. We've got some more ideas about prettying up the UI, but a lot of them are probably going to have to wait for a later version since they're not exactly worth delaying 2.0's release for.

PlecoDict 2 (Beta 1): Now Default (By Default)?

Hi Mike

To show my Support for the Evolution of Your Product & Participate in Beta Testing
I have Purchased a Full Suite of Upgrades :D

My Intention Is to Continue ot Use PlecoDict 1.0 as My Main Dictionary, and Beta Test v2 ;)
(As forewarned, the Beta 1 is prone to Frequent Crashing in Most things that I Try.)
However, PlecoDict 2 now seems to launch as the Default App,
from both the 'Favorites' Launcher & the 'Silkscreen' Shortcuts,
(I am running the Palm Version on a T5.)

I can only see/launch Pleco 1 from the Full File Manager.
and I am Unable to Setup a Shortcut to Pleco 1

At the Moment (for me), It would be more Convenient if Pleco 1 launched by default,
and I Could set up another 'Favorite' to Launch PlecoDict 2 (Beta).

TIA
The Duelist

ipsi

状元
I'm getting the above problem too. It worked briefly, but then stopped, and I now only see PlecoEngine in the Buttons listing and when I press and hold the Home Button on my Treo. What's up with that?

I'll have a play around tonight. I think it happened after I re-installed Beta 2, overwriting the ARM version. Then I reset for some reason, and it's as described.

gato

状元
I re-installed Beta 2
Remember that there have been 3 versions of 2.0 beta for PalmOS released so far:
1. the first version with the same file name as 1.0
2. the same file, except renamed as "plecodict engine" (or something similar)
3. the ARM-accelerated version

If you re-installed the first version, it would have overwritten 1.0.

Re: PlecoDict 2 (Beta 1): Now Default (By Default)?

The Duelist said:
At the Moment (for me), It would be more Convenient if Pleco 1 launched by default,
and I Could set up another 'Favorite' to Launch PlecoDict 2 (Beta).
After Installing the ARM-Accelerated version, then Restoring this Version (Beta 1),
PlecoDict 1 Is Back to Launching as My Default App. :)

Is Search Working???

Just Wondering If Search is Working for Anyone?

Auto Searching doesn't work for me,
and Triggering Search from the Command Bar is Very Hit & Miss with Frequent Crashing.

I am testing on a Palm T5 and Have tried Both Beta1 & the ARM-Accelerated version.

The Duelist

daniu

榜眼
TaiwanSwedey said:
I can find the Chinese names of a lot of countries and cities. This is great , thanks.

Wao ... just realized ... This dictionary even has smaller german cities (Ulm, Esslingen) ... cool! Even my Chinese friends will not know and be impressed!

regards
Daniel

sfrrr

状元
Re: Is Search Working???

The Duelist said:
Just Wondering If Search is Working for Anyone?

Auto Searching doesn't work for me,
and Triggering Search from the Command Bar is Very Hit & Miss with Frequent Crashing.

I am testing on a Palm T5 and Have tried Both Beta1 & the ARM-Accelerated version.

The Duelist

I'm using an Axim x51v and I'm having the same experience. However, I'd rather go to bugs, so see ya there.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, known problem again with the search not working, it's already partly-fixed in the latest Palm ARM build and should be more thoroughly fixed in Beta 2.

daniu - glad you're enjoying the new proper noun improvements, those were the biggest reason why we licensed this dictionary; they even have the relatively small (population 20,000) New England town where I grew up listed in there.