Beta 7(b) (stability-fix) Bug Report Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Post any bugs with the latest experimental version here. Seemed like a good idea to start a new one since we were seeing more and more duplicate bugs in the old B7 thread. (hopefully said bugs will now be fixed in this release)

ipsi

状元
Before I say what happened, I blame this entirely on ChatterEmail corrupting my download from GMail (though I guess there's a tiny, tiny, tiny chance that it wasn't Chatter's fault). Anyway, installed it, and what do I get? Reset Loop... Had to do a hard reset. As I said, I blame this on ChatterEmail, not Pleco! I'm just thankful that it didn't re-lock my phone (thought it had a for a while as it wouldn't connect to the network).

EDIT: Only two weeks until I get a nice, shiny new Treo Pro, so I'm not too worried. Also had flashcards backed up to the SD Card. They're a little old, but it's much better than nothing.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I just double-checked the file in the download archive for corruption and it looks good (and is the same file that worked fine on a half dozen or so Palms here), so this does indeed sound like a ChatterEmail issue.

ipsi

状元
Good to hear. Shouldn't rush to download a new version, basically... Now I'm going to have to wait until I get home to restore all my contacts and software and such :(. Oh well. Stuff happens.

daniu

榜眼
Hi!

I am a bit out of the whole Beta process as I do not have the time to read everything. So I am not sure if you are interested in hearing about that in flashcards I think there are some display issues. On my Dell Axim X51v I can quite often see reminders of the last words in free answering mode. The handwriting input usually has to be cleared before entering the next character for example but also some obviously wrong behaviour like old input fields half covered by other stuff etc. For a beta this is OK but IMO not for a RC

Another thing is: I wonder why flashcards need to be full screen ... Can you set this up somewhere? I like to have some kind of pseudo mutitasking on my PDA with Magic Button which I can only get with software buttons when using flashcards. Saving the session and reentering it is unnecessary troublesome - at least that's how I feel - especially because I do not see a reason for that ... In PD1 sometimes the session was terminated when switching to another program - could never really reproduce when, why and when not though. That was not really better ...

regards
Daniel

ipsi

状元
Right, I'm happy now. My Treo is back to normal :)D), and I've installed P2B7(b).

Couple of niggling problems with the document reader are still there which I've reported before: Scrolling to the bottom doesn't stop the percentage from increasing a little more and meaning it will scroll up less than a full screen.

Also, while I truly love the file listing, it would be nice if it could at least sort the files by name (ignoring directory), as it can be kinda hard to find a file in a long list.

Problem can be partially solved by removing all text files from searched paths and then setting it to search the single directory you want.

There's also some weird text that shows up where the filename should when viewing something from the clipboard. Not sure what triggers it... Best suggestion would be to copy/paste something long, and see if that does it. Maybe more than 8 characters?

Anyway, the Blazer-crashing problem has now gone away, which is good to see :D.

EDIT: daniu, I think there's a preference somewhere for that? Not sure, but I do believe someone else has requested the ability to have it not be full-screen.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
daniu - thanks, we'll take a look at these. In general, given all of the other problems in the current version of Pleco on Pocket PC I don't think we need to wait for everything to be completely 100% perfect-looking before we can release the finished product; we can always fix things later in a bug-fix release; a couple of the icons really need to be redesigned and there are some other areas like multi-choice tests where it's not exactly an attractive / user-friendly interface the way it works now. But glaring issues like needing to clear handwriting input should definitely be addressed.

As ipsi says, you can indeed keep flashcards from being full-screen if you prefer - just check the "Don't hide menu bars in flash / reader" box in the External section of Preferences.

ipsi - glad it's working again. Scrolling past the bottom in the reader proved really tricky to fix (at least without introducing half a dozen new bugs in other areas), so for the moment we're probably just going to let it be and fix it in a later update. Good idea on sorting the file list by name, though, that's just a qsort and a 3-line compare function so it might be doable even in 2.0.0. Glad the Blazer problem is fixed at least.

Hi Mike

I've Installed PD2b7(b).
All The Bugs Causing Crashes Within PD2 Seem To Have Been Fixed. :)

However, PD2 Still Crashes In Multiple-Choice Tests When I Switch HWPen On. :(

The Duelist

BTW: I Like The New Icons 8)
Just Notice I'm Now A Bangyan (100 Posts) :lol:

ipsi

状元
I note that up/down buttons are now being recognised consistently in flashcards. I also see they've actually got a different code now. What's up with that? Was it Palm OS being strange?

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, it's now perfect, and should be released ASAP :D.

I also got a soft reset a day or two ago with Beta 7(a), but that was after 5 days without a reset, and could have been caused by all sorts of things... Anyway, it was a soft reset on start. I think it was just a 'regular' Fatal Exception.

Minor Bug Report:
Manage Dictionaries -> Dict Icon Colour Picker Has Screen Redraw Issues.

Platform: Palm T5
Software: PD2b7(b)

radioman

状元
The program continues to be stable under beta 7(b) for what I am doing with it.

I have even now loaded CKJOS on the E2 (I will see how that goes. Installed Backup Buddy so have an image pre CKJOS.

Not sure if this is a bug or simply me doing something wrong while trying to install pleco, but I've run into a couple problems during the installation.

I'm using an HP IPaq 410, WM6. This is my first go with Pleco 2.0 Beta so I tried running the automated installer from my computer.

1st time) Choose to install the registered version, was asked for a keyfile. When I went to the myOrders page to get a keyfile, it asked for my machine-ID from Pleco 2.0 Help screen. Obviously, a chicken and egg problem since I hadn't gotten to install the software yet. So I hit back on the install screen and tried to install the demo, however it continued to ask me for the keyfile!

2nd time) I canceled out and rebooted my computer and started over. This time being very careful to choose only the demo. Installation proceeded smoothly until asked where to install the software. Although my SD card was given as an option, it doesn't show how much space is left on the SD Card. When I tried to install to the SD card, it says that there isn't enough space. However, the SD card is completely empty and should have about 8gb. I formatted it once more and tested it both on my pda as well as putting it directly into the SD card slot on my computer and both worked fine.

Obviously, the 128 mb of internal space isn't going to cut it. I plan on trying the manual install later if I can't get the automated installer working. Any ideas?

ipsi

状元
I think there may have been issues with it not recognising cards over a certain size. Not sure if it's been fixed yet or not. If you have an empty 2GB (or 4, but 2 would probably be ideal) sitting around, try using that and see if it helps. Failing that, yeah, a manual install is the other option.

Thanks Ipsi, I got it working by doing a manual install. Only problem is that when I try to play the audio, it says "Sorry, the audio data files could not be found - please make sure you've installed them correctly." I installed the extended audio to the same place I installed everything else, SDCard\Pleco\. I did not use any subdirectories, rather installed everything into the Pleco\ directory. Is that the right place?

Also, do I need to uninstall Pleco 1.0?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ipsi - great! I'd be surprised if 1.0 went 5 days without a reset, actually :) With b7b, we run all hardware button commands through a filter which checks to see if they're any of the 3 or 4 different ways of encoding a given direction button and normalizes them to the same one if so - seemed like the easiest way to deal with the problem of direction buttons not registering correctly because the keystrokes sent for them in the Preferences screen were different from the ones sent during a flashcard session.

The Duelist - thanks, we'll take a look at that.

radioman - glad to hear it. With CJKOS, as long as you minimize the number of fonts / etc installed (just two fonts (ideally GB since they're the smallest), one or two IMEs and maybe a phrase table would be best) it shouldn't take up too big a chunk of the cache memory - it's only if you install absolutely everything that you have 3/4 of the cache eaten up by it.

whytetyger - sorry about the install issue, it'll be fixed in B8. With the audio, did you install the basic set of audio files along with the extended set? You need to install both sets of files for the audio to work - the automated installer includes the basic set of audio files but we put them in a separate download for the manual one (something we'll probably be changing in the finished release). And no, you shouldn't need to uninstall 1.0, though it might be best to avoid running it in the background while 2.0 is running.

goog1e

举人
When in a Flashcard Session and try to exit, the "Save Session?" dialog box comes up along with a menu bar on the bottom that says "Dict" "Edit" and "Modules" and the WM input pen is on the right side. Nothing seems to be clickable. I'm not sure if this is a bug or what.

----
In the main Menu --> Flashcards, if I uncheck "Include example sentences in flashcards" and my flashcards are mapped to the Tuttle dictionary, the examples are still included. This is a little rough because the Tuttle examples include the actual word in the example, which makes quizzing yourself by english definition unworkable with Tuttle-mapped words. While this is an issue, I hope that you don't convert the Tuttle examples to be like ABC where they use a "~" instead of the word -- somehow this is confusing to me and I vastly prefer the actual word in the text rather than a placeholder. The examples cement themselves much better in my mind.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... so you can't tap on any of the buttons in the Save Session box either? That's odd... does anything else appear in the foreground or is it just that dialog and the menu bar?

The Tuttle database hasn't been coded to mark example sentences yet - there's no tagging for them in the original database so we'd have to do it manually (another thing that will probably have to wait until after 2.0.0). The ABC's the only dictionary so far that supports hiding example sentences.

Mike,

Thanks, I did indeed forget to install the basic audio. I guess I was too excited to get started using Pleco 2. With the manual card install, everything seems to be working great now!I'll update later with how using it today goes. Love being able to listen to my new vocabulary and practice my tones while travelling!

Screen Redraw Problems

Bug Report:
Manage Categories -> New & Rename Have Screen Redraw Issues, When Cancel Is Pressed.
Manage Profiles -> New & Rename Have Screen Redraw Issues, When Cancel Is Pressed.

Preferences: Toolbar
Pressing 'Done' On ALL Of The 'Setup' Screens Has Screen Redraw Issues.

Platform: Palm T5
Software: PD2b7(b)

radioman

状元
Well, not sure quite what I did, but the machine slowed down, and CJKOS screwed things up. Pleco would not run.

So I pulled it out. I think I loaded a number of CJKOS files on the actual device rather than the memory card.

So If I just put in 1 IME and just GB, I should be able to read a fair range of documents? I have not spent a lot of time with the external apps, so not sure how limited I would be relative to Hanzi rendering.

mikelove said:
radioman - glad to hear it. With CJKOS, as long as you minimize the number of fonts / etc installed (just two fonts (ideally GB since they're the smallest), one or two IMEs and maybe a phrase table would be best) it shouldn't take up too big a chunk of the cache memory - it's only if you install absolutely everything that you have 3/4 of the cache eaten up by it.