Can I alphabetize my categories?

v13co

I have Pleco on the iPad and can't seem to alphabetize 20 something categories for easier browsing. Thank you!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You can manually re-order them by tapping on the "Edit" button at the top right corner of the screen and choosing "Categories" from the bar that appears in the top middle, but there's no way to automatically alphabetize categories at the moment - actually I think you're the first person to mention this. Not quite sure where we can fit an "alphabetize" button in that user interface, though - any ideas on that?

magicdave

秀才
I'm not sure about categories, but it's something I've thought would be useful for lists themselves. How about when you select a category by pressing the arrow in the blue circle and moving into the 'Choose Name' page, you could have an option to alphabetise the contents of this category.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
magicdave said:
I'm not sure about categories, but it's something I've thought would be useful for lists themselves. How about when you select a category by pressing the arrow in the blue circle and moving into the 'Choose Name' page, you could have an option to alphabetise the contents of this category.

Oh, reordering the cards... that makes a lot of sense; would a pure Pinyin sort or a Chinese-dictionary-style group-all-words-with-the-same-start-character-together sort be better? At the moment the sort order doesn't do a whole lot, but we're planning to add an option to review cards in category order soon and it might be good to add both features together.

radioman

状元
My two cents -

Sorting by
- Pinyin
- Hanzi
- English
- Categories

I know you already have the capability to filter on a number of other settings.

Is there an easy way to create new category by doing a search on a key word or phrase? For instance, I have 2500 sentences and I want to have every sentence that contains a certain grammar construct like maybe “是不是” or "A不A“ (maybe a poor example, but just having a way to type in a string with the ability to put wildcards, and then throw them all into a new category)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
radioman said:
Sorting by
- Pinyin
- Hanzi
- English
- Categories

English I'm not sure about - how would we extract the correct word from the definition?

radioman said:
Is there an easy way to create new category by doing a search on a key word or phrase? For instance, I have 2500 sentences and I want to have every sentence that contains a certain grammar construct like maybe “是不是” or "A不A“ (maybe a poor example, but just having a way to type in a string with the ability to put wildcards, and then throw them all into a new category)

Not at the moment, though I think we've had a few requests for a "dump search results to flashcards" type feature.

radioman

状元
The idea with the English is that, in the case of sentences, you would be able to quickly review a list, or go to a sentence that you know exists like "We should go to the store"... in this case, one would sort on the first word.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
radioman said:
The idea with the English is that, in the case of sentences, you would be able to quickly review a list, or go to a sentence that you know exists like "We should go to the store"... in this case, one would sort on the first word.

So this would specifically be for user-created definitions then?

radioman

状元
Yes, it would. I ran into this a few times in the past. But, I understand my approach is arguably a bit Avant-garde.

mikelove said:
radioman said:

So this would specifically be for user-created definitions then?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
radioman said:
But, I understand my approach is arguably a bit Avant-garde.

Well a little bit, but it should be fairly trivial to implement, and certainly other people might have sufficiently rigid definition syntax that such a sort would be useful.