cantonese + OCr

donkey

Hi

Just 2 quick questions, which addon would i purchase to:
1) recognise chinese words (eg on signs, menus, books etc)
2) cantonese audio pronunciation

thanks!
D

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
donkey said:

1) That would be our Optical Character Recognizer module, but please make sure to try out the demo version of it first to verify that it works well enough for you.

2) We don't offer Cantonese audio yet, or even Cantonese pronunciation in written form. We've been trying to license a Cantonese dictionary for quite some time now, but there aren't many of them out there and it's taking a while. Some other products support Cantonese by basically guessing at the most common Cantonese pronunciation for each character in a Mandarin dictionary, but we think the only way to really support Cantonese is with a dedicated Cantonese dictionary, one that factors in Cantonese slang / alternate Cantonese meanings for words / etc. But we're hoping to get one of those licensed soon, and once we do we'd then go about the process of sourcing Cantonese audio data for a Cantonese audio add-on.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
donkey said:
how long does the demo version last for?

There's no time limit - the free features stay free, we never ask you to pay for our basic app unless you want to bring in additional functionality / dictionaries / etc through paid add-on modules.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
jacky89 said:
Any updates on the Cantonese dictionary? When can we expect to see this?

No updates, we've got three leads still in the works but none of them have made any progress recently.

j40

秀才
donkey said:
Hi

thanks!
D

For now, you can go to my blog to get Cantonese-English dictionary with 4000+ pronunciations (for Windows/Linux/Mac, shall I call it low-tech? :) ).
http://writecantonese8.wordpress.com/2011/09/11/cantonese-dictionary-with-over-4000-audio/
You can search by English in Cantonese-English dictionary through full-text search.
http://writecantonese8.wordpress.co...y-and-introduce-new-cantonese-text-to-speech/