Changing Dictionaries iPhone vs. iPad

Paul Duke

进士
One of the functions I use most in Pleco is switching between different dictionaries to find a definition that appears to make the most sense in the context I'm dealing with at that moment.

I've had Pleco for iPhone/iTouch for nearly a year now and I'm used to the way that function works there. For instance, if I look up changzhu or 常驻 and then tap on it in the list, I get a full screen definition entry. Now I can easily tap on the Dictionary button at bottom left to cycle quickly through the different dictionaries.

I bought an iPad recently and this function is a little trickier. For instance, if I do this:

- type changzhu in the entry area and tap on 常驻 in the ABC dictionary list on the left side so that the definition is presented on the right side
- tap the dictionary button to cycle around to different dictionaries
- when I reach the PLC dictionary the entry changes to changzhu 厂主 because that entry is listed ahead of 常驻 in that dictionary

I guess because I've used the iPhone version for so many months now, I'm finding this very unintuitive. Is there a way to make the iPad behavior like the iPhone's? IE, once I have tapped on an entry on the left side, I've "indicated" that's the word I'm interested in, and then when I tap the dictionary button, it automatically gives me the different dictionary entries for that word, as opposed to other words with the same pinyin syllables?

thanks,

Paul D.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Paul Duke said:
I guess because I've used the iPhone version for so many months now, I'm finding this very unintuitive. Is there a way to make the iPad behavior like the iPhone's? IE, once I have tapped on an entry on the left side, I've "indicated" that's the word I'm interested in, and then when I tap the dictionary button, it automatically gives me the different dictionary entries for that word, as opposed to other words with the same pinyin syllables?

This is getting fixed in the big UI revamp, but unfortunately for right now the only way to fix this would be to disable the iPad's two-pane interface so that it works like the iPhone version (list and definition on a separate screen) - do that by turning off Settings / Dictionary / Overall Interface / Portrait Screen Layout / Show definition and Landscape Screen Layout / Show definition.

Paul Duke

进士
Great, thanks.

While I'm here I'll mention that I think it would be great if the Dictionary button could be placed up higher on the screen. On the iPhone the lower placement is okay, but on the iPad, especially if I have it sitting in my lap reading in bed or on an airplane, the ergonomics of reaching down for that button are a bit awkward.

I think in a year of using the iPhone version I have never used the arrow buttons (in the upper right hand corner) to switch between entries; it is so much easier to look at the list and choose an entry directly. I would suggest getting rid of the arrow buttons and moving the Dictionary choice button in their place. I suspect as with all my suggestions you are way ahead of me on this...

thanks again,

PD

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Paul Duke said:
While I'm here I'll mention that I think it would be great if the Dictionary button could be placed up higher on the screen. On the iPhone the lower placement is okay, but on the iPad, especially if I have it sitting in my lap reading in bed or on an airplane, the ergonomics of reaching down for that button are a bit awkward.

I think in a year of using the iPhone version I have never used the arrow buttons (in the upper right hand corner) to switch between entries; it is so much easier to look at the list and choose an entry directly. I would suggest getting rid of the arrow buttons and moving the Dictionary choice button in their place. I suspect as with all my suggestions you are way ahead of me on this...

We're already planning to move it to the top bar in 2.3 even when the keyboard is closed - the jumping around frustrates a lot of people and certainly ergonomics-wise that's a better place for it on iPad.