Character comparison

inorbit

举人
Is it possible to have 2 (or more) characters on the same screen for comparison?
Comparing the appearance of similar characters like wu3 and niu2 for example?

Thanks

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Haven't really had any requests for this before, to be honest - best bet at the moment would simply be to enter both of them in the search box; if you can't see them clearly at the default size you can increase it in settings.

inorbit

举人
Haven't really had any requests for this before, to be honest - best bet at the moment would simply be to enter both of them in the search box; if you can't see them clearly at the default size you can increase it in settings.

I don't understand what you mean?
For exemple, if I enter wu3 niu2 in the search box (beside 中), I obtain: No Results Found (since this is not a word).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You have to enter the two characters, not the Pinyin. (sorry, I assumed that was what you were doing anyway) If you enter two characters that don't make up a single word, it'll show you an entry for each of them separately.

inorbit

举人
You have to enter the two characters, not the Pinyin. (sorry, I assumed that was what you were doing anyway) If you enter two characters that don't make up a single word, it'll show you an entry for each of them separately.

Ok thanks.
Why not having the same behavior when the input is in Pinyin?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Too many options - how would we know which wu3 and which niu2 you want? But if you install a free Pinyin IME on your phone (lots of them to choose from) you can enter individual characters using Pinyin that way.

inorbit

举人
Too many options - how would we know which wu3 and which niu2 you want?
True, I forgot that!

But if you install a free Pinyin IME on your phone (lots of them to choose from) you can enter individual characters using Pinyin that way.
Thanks, it's a good way to enter character.

Would it be complex, to add the possibility that the user force this mode with some separator (a comma for example):
牛,午, 年
instead of only entering this mode when no words if found?