Cheng & Tsui Chinese-Pinyin-English Dictionary for Learners?

Alexis

状元
Any chance of ever seeing the "Cheng & Tsui Chinese-Pinyin-English Dictionary for Learners" on PlecoDict?
I really like this dictionary and use it a lot because it has a huge amount of example sentences and usage for each word.

- Alexis

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Tried and failed at licensing that one - C&T actually doesn't own the rights to it, a Chinese publisher does and they were sadly uninterested in doing business with us.

Hey Mike,

I was wondering if due to your higher profile and larger customer base, and due to recent recognition by some media, if you might have better success now with licenses that you earlier pursued but failed to get.

hairyleprechaun

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We're thinking about doing that once we've got the iPhone and desktop versions out - the media coverage hasn't done much of anything for our sales, but those releases might expand our customer volume to a point where we'd have a shot at some deals we didn't have before. A lot of deals are flat-out impossible due to exclusive licenses, though.

I sure hope that you have some more success in the area of licensing in the near future. It is sad to hear that the best Chinese language learning tool (in my opinion even better than Wenlin for beginners) is faced with such challenges in expanding its dictionary line.

Good luck!

hairyleprechaun

Alexis

状元
Re: Cheng & Tsui Chinese-Pinyin-English Dictionary for Learn

Just wanted to ping this one (or any other dictionary that has a boatload of sample sentences).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Re: Cheng & Tsui Chinese-Pinyin-English Dictionary for Learn

Alexis said:
Just wanted to ping this one (or any other dictionary that has a boatload of sample sentences).

They actually don't own it - they licensed it from another publisher in China and that publisher unfortunately wasn't interested in licensing it to us.