Chinese character input

gvaughton

Hi

I had a Tungsten E2 that I picked up in Hong Kong - it came with software (the OS?) that allowed input of Chinese characters (in Plecodict or elsewhere) just by scribbling on the screen. Its recognition ability was excellent and it could display Chinese in all applications, like address book, notepad etc. There were never any incompatibility issues or hangs, etc.

To cut a long story short I left the Palm on a plane (the anguish!) and brought a replacement in the UK, without really thinking through how it would differ. I've reinstalled Pleco, but now find that the screen-scribbling doesn't work. I can only input characters in the special Pleco function (which is relatively time consuming, especially for multi-character words), and more worryingly none of my Chinese memos, addresses, etc are readable.

Is it possible to replicate the original software on a 'Western' Palm? I suspect it must be, as I see from earlier discussion that a program called CJKOS is available. However, from what I can tell that program only has phonetic input, and I would also need to get something like PalmDragon or PenPower... but various earlier posts point out compatibility issues with these.

Does anyone know what would have been on the original HK Palm (the option in 'Prefs' definitely referred to CJKOS), or what would do the same entry/recognition job?

Many thanks,
George

roddy

秀才
CJKOS for the ability to view Chinese characters and input them via a rather clunky pop-up keyboard.
Penpower was most likely the handwriting recognition software, that's the one that's come on all my China-bought palms.

However, Pleco comes with very good handwriting recognition - I'm not sure what you mean by 'special Pleco function'.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
CJKOS is most likely the Chinese display system that was installed on that Chinese Palm, so if you install that that should get you most of the way there. No idea which handwriting recognizer they'd be using, but PenPower would be a good bet if it was from HK - about all I can suggest with that is that you try out a few and see which one seems to work best for you / conflict the least with your other applications. (we don't know of any that are particularly good/bad with Pleco)