Cintinue Flashcards with/without dates

Can someone explain what exactly this means. When reviewing cards that aren't due yet, what does continuing without dates mean?
Also, what does the -10D 22H mean? Is this the amount of time since the card was last studied?

IMG_0785.png
IMG_0790.png

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
pprendeville said:
Can someone explain what exactly this means. When reviewing cards that aren't due yet, what does continuing without dates mean?
Also, what does the -10D 22H mean? Is this the amount of time since the card was last studied?

"Continue without dates" means that we don't extend the due dates of the cards you're reviewing ahead of schedule; i.e., they'll still be reviewed at their scheduled times. The regular "Continue" logs your new review like any other card review. So if you've got a card with a 15-day interval and you review it after 10 days, with "continue without dates" you'd see the card again 5 days from now, while with the regular "continue" you'd see it in 15 days. (the interval generally doesn't increase if you review a card early, though you can change that behavior in the Scoring configuration screen)

pprendeville said:

That's the amount of time ahead of schedule that you're reviewing the card; if it's a positive number then it's the number of days past due.

Alexis

状元
mikelove said:
"Continue without dates" means that we don't extend the due dates of the cards you're reviewing ahead of schedule;

If a card is marked incorrect during "Continue without dates", would the date be affected?

Eddy

举人
For my understanding, when selecting "Continue without dates", cards marked correct or incorrect during the review will presumably not get scored, right? And when selecting regular "Continue", cards marked correct or incorrect during the review will get scored and impact the card's review date?

Was just wondering if, when using "Continue without dates", card scores would be affected or not. Thanks.

tsr

秀才
Eddy said:
For my understanding, when selecting "Continue without dates", cards marked correct or incorrect during the review will presumably not get scored, right? And when selecting regular "Continue", cards marked correct or incorrect during the review will get scored and impact the card's review date?

Was just wondering if, when using "Continue without dates", card scores would be affected or not. Thanks.

I don't think the scores are affected, because if they were, then their due date would automatically change. However, I don't think that itself is addressed in the manual. Related though, is how they are scored when you continue reviewing more cards:

Pleco Manual Flashcards Reference said:
If review early, only visible with "Repetition-spaced" selected as your Card selection system, lets you specify how scores should be changed on cards that are reviewed ahead of schedule (reviewing them in the optional not-yet-due cards review) and answered correctly. The default "don't change" is probably best in most cases - this will preserve the score exactly as is, so the interval between repetitions won't be altered, which is appropriate since you haven't proven you're ready for a longet interval yet. [manual here]

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
tsr said:
I don't think the scores are affected, because if they were, then their due date would automatically change. However, I don't think that itself is addressed in the manual.

Quite right, scores are not affected in "continue without dates" - that "continue reviewing" concept in general is kind of an awkward bridge between our current "score"-based system and the more purely repetition-spacing one we're shifting towards in our next big flashcard update, though we really should document it better in the meantime.