Convert Palm flashcards to Pocket PC

jlg84

I just converted from the Palm version of the Pleco s/w to Pocket PC and would like to use my extensive collection of personal flash cards. Is there a way to do this, and if so, can someone provide clear instructions? Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Already answered this by e-mail, but for the benefit of anyone else reading:

It's not as easy as it should be, unfortunately; basically you have to export the flashcards to a text file, copy that text file over to your Pocket PC, and then reimport them on your Pocket PC. To do that, go to the Manage Flashcards screen on your Palm and use the Export command to save all of your flashcard lists to a text file, in UTF-8 encoding, on an SD card. Then, put that card in your Pocket PC and use File Explorer to copy the text file into your Pocket PC's My Documents folder. Finally, go to Manage Flashcards on your Pocket PC, and use the Import command to import that text file back into PlecoDict.

There's no way to preserve your flashcard statistics, but this would at least keep the vocabulary intact. If you can wait a few months for the finished release of 2.0, the utility we're releasing to convert flashcards from Pleco 1.0 to Pleco 2.0 format actually will leave statistics intact, and files from that can easily be moved between platforms.

Rick31

举人
I just switched platforms, as well. Unfortunately, my old palm is a Clie, and the SD card it uses does not fit into my new Touch. It seems there is no way, based on these instructions, for me to get the flashcards into my Touch. Any ideas? Will this be possible when 2.0 comes out? If so, I'm certainly willing to wait. Thanks!

ipsi

状元
I'm not sure if 2.0 will make a difference, but there will be a conversion utility from 1.3, and I think they're in SQLite format, so should. But Mike's the only one who can say for sure.

Actually, just noticed that he said it would in his post. There we go.

I suspect the Clie used a Sony Memory Stick, and Touch uses a Mini/Micro, which could be your problem. Only Sony products can use Sony Sticks :(.

Anyway, you could try installing Card Reader or Card Export which will allow you to get the text file off the Clie's card and allow you to put it on the Touch.

Rick31

举人
Thanks ipsi, it worked. :D I used Card Reader, as Card Export doesn't work for any of the Clie models. For any future switchers, you can download a FREE 14 day trial version of Card Reader here: http://www.clickapps.com/moreinfo.htm?p ... ction=PALM. It allows you to look at your memory stick as if it's any other "plug-in."; just enable, and you can open the files on your computer, and paste them into whatever place you like.

As a side note, I noticed I have more than 4,500 cards :!: ...now if I would just learn all of those, I wouldn't even need a dictionary!