Converting pdf files and viewing them in Pleco reader (iPad)

bjarle

Hi,

As a Popup Chinese user and as of this week an iPad owner, I really wish to be able to view the dialogue .pdf files from Popup in the Pleco document reader. Seeing as the reader doesnt support .pdf files, the need to convert the files to any file format that is supported arises.

My question, therefore, is if any of you have ever had the same need - and found a sollution.

If not, I may concretize some questions for any kind-hearted spirit willing to help:

1. Which formats does the reader support? I can't seem to find any information on this.
2. Is there a converter for PC out there, preferably freeware, that can successfully convert .pdf files containing chinese characters to any of those formats?

I have tried various free .pdf to text converters, one .pdf to word and one .pdf to epub. The .txt files won't display the chinese characters (not on my PC either), the .epub is grey and won't open, and the the .doc prompts a "limited lookups only" box when tapped and thereafter "unable to read document".

Thanks,

bjarle

gato

状元
Re: Converting pdf files and viewing them in Pleco reader (i

Did you try the PDF convert in Calibre? Unless your PDF is under security lock, Calibre should be able to convert it to a text format readable by Pleco.

bjarle

I did not. Now I did, and you were quite right - it worked splendidly converting them to text files (except for the minor detail that the pinyin got a bit malformed). I'm surprised Calibre wasn't among the first programs I searched up; it is way better than the mostly shitty ones I tried, some of which even demanded money after only a few convertions.

Off to bathe in Popup Chinese dialogues. Thank you, good sir.

I'm still curious of which formats are supported though. (Evidently txt is, while pdf, epub, doc and rtf are not.)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

bjarle said:
I'm still curious of which formats are supported though. (Evidently txt is, while pdf, epub, doc and rtf are not.)

For full tap-on-characters-and-look-them-up-immediately support, it is indeed txt-only; .doc and .rtf require you to select a piece of text, then tap on the [>] button at the bottom of the screen to bring it up in document reader mode.