Create user dictionary

skripp

举人
How do I create a user dictionary with formatting? Say I would like to have something like this:

wo3

Something Something Something.

Example:
。。。。
。。。。
。。。。

I have a lot of these that I would like to import into pleco. Would the csv-importer work for this?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
skripp said:
How do I create a user dictionary with formatting? Say I would like to have something like this:

wo3

Something Something Something.

Example:
。。。。
。。。。
。。。。

I have a lot of these that I would like to import into pleco. Would the csv-importer work for this?

Yes, but the formatting is a bit tricky since we don't currently support any sensible system like HTML/BBCode tags. (it's been on our to-do list for years, but it's having a hard time climbing up since not that many people actually use our user dictionary feature)

We do, however, let you format entries using private-use Unicode characters, which are what we use ourselves since they take up a bit less space in our dictionaries. See this post for most of the codes; along with them, EAB4/EAB5 do italics. Note that these are character codes - you can't just type in "EAB1", you have to use an "insert symbol" or "insert character" type command and insert the private use Unicode character with that code point.

In theory these are subject to change in a future update, but we've been using them for so long (as have other people) that we'd be unlikely to actually change them without offering some sort of a converter option at the very least. Worst-case, you could always find-and-replace them with whatever we start using instead.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
stephanhodges said:
Are these codes supported in the reader as well?

No - it only renders plain unformatted text. (doing that allows for some performance optimizations that allow us to open and fully word-wrap a 2 MB document in under a second)