Creating bold or italic words in Pleco

Is it possible to type bold and italic words in Pleco like in Skritter. In Skritter, putting an asterisk at the beginning and end of a word makes it bold and using underscores at either side make it italic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 470
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 470

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
At the moment that's difficult - have to insert some weird custom format characters that either need to be copy-and-pasted in from somewhere else or inserted on your computer. It'll be getting much easier when we overhaul flashcards, though.

I would like to boldface words in the definitions of a user-created dictionary. Has there been an update to do this easily? If not, can you let me know what the custom format characters are that you mentioned above? Thanks!

Shun

状元
Hi Graham,

For Pleco 3.2, it should work with special reserved Unicode characters. See this post:

Last edited:
Hi Graham,

For Pleco 3.2, it should work with special reserved Unicode characters. See this post:

Thanks, Shun. I'm not conversant with how to use these tags. Can you give me an example of what the source text (UTF-8) of a definition field would read like with a bolded word in it?

For example:

I want *this* to be bold.

What would I type in place of the asterisks?

(I'm using Android. Would there be different codes for iOS?)

Shun

状元
You're welcome. I tried it on both iOS and Android. I used:

Non-bold bold non-bold

So you could copy and paste the codes from above. I used the "Unicode Hex Input" input method on the Mac. Windows likely knows something similar. The starting character is different from the ending character.

Here's the result in the iOS Document Reader:

IMG_4268.PNG

The Android text reader works differently, so it doesn't support the codes (but Android flashcards and user dictionaries do):

Screenshot_20210116-071357.png
Screenshot_20210116-071900.png

Hope this helps,

Shun

Last edited: