detect pinyin vs. English?

Suddenly, it stopped detecting pinyin vs. English automatically. The only relevant setting I can find is"auto-detect language," which is set to auto. But it doesn't even switch when I type a tone number. How do I restore auto-detecting pinyin vs. English?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
JimmyTheSaint said:
Suddenly, it stopped detecting pinyin vs. English automatically. The only relevant setting I can find is"auto-detect language," which is set to auto. But it doesn't even switch when I type a tone number. How do I restore auto-detecting pinyin vs. English?

That's a new one... have you changed any of the other search settings recently? Or installed any new dictionaries? What about if you enter Chinese characters, does it auto-detect that? If you manually switch into Chinese does that "un-stick" it so it'll switch back and forth again?

Alexis

状元
Not exactly the same, but I had a situation a couple weeks ago where search was running abnormally. Restarting the phone did the trick and I haven't seen the problem since.

mikelove said:
JimmyTheSaint said:

That's a new one... have you changed any of the other search settings recently? Or installed any new dictionaries? What about if you enter Chinese characters, does it auto-detect that? If you manually switch into Chinese does that "un-stick" it so it'll switch back and forth again?

I haven't been able to answer because I just got back from Shanghai, where this error was truly obtrusive. I only noticed the error after I installed the Market version of Pleco, but that doesn't mean it wasn't happening before that. So of course, all settings and downloads have recently been redone. I'm experiencing the same error on my Galaxy Note and Galaxy 7.7. I never input Chinese characters, only pinyin, and I just now notice that I can't find a way to enter Chinese characters. I've done it in the past once or twice, but I apparently don't remember how to get to the Chinese characters input interface.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
JimmyTheSaint said:
I haven't been able to answer because I just got back from Shanghai, where this error was truly obtrusive. I only noticed the error after I installed the Market version of Pleco, but that doesn't mean it wasn't happening before that. So of course, all settings and downloads have recently been redone. I'm experiencing the same error on my Galaxy Note and Galaxy 7.7. I never input Chinese characters, only pinyin, and I just now notice that I can't find a way to enter Chinese characters. I've done it in the past once or twice, but I apparently don't remember how to get to the Chinese characters input interface.

That's because we added (at your request, IIRC) an option to hide the toolbar that normally shows up to change input modes - you must have turned it on without realizing it. If you turn off the "hide input method bar" option in Settings / Dictionary / Main Screen Interface / Portrait orientation, that will bring it back.

As far as this error, we still haven't observed it here but we strongly suspect that it's something settings-related - if that input bar was still missing then that means that the settings from before you switched to the Market version persisted after the switch. How are your settings configured in Settings / Dictionary / Search Settings / Input processing, Full-text, Search dictionaries, and Result display?

I definitely don't miss the input bar. As you can see, I even forgot about its functions because, as a strict pinyin inputter, I never need them. I did turn the input bar on and tried inputting a character, but that still fails to change the dictionary to Chinese. I had gone through the settings before posting, but nothing worked. So I just tried wiping the settings on my Note (via Android's manage applications since I didn't notice the Pleco option to reset settings, and now it's working correctly. I've left my 7.7 unfixed. Is this worth tracing down, or should I just zap the settings and forget about it?

My 7.7's settings are as follows:

Dictionary / Search Settings / Input processing
Auto-detect language: enabled
Allow extra characters: checked
Combine umlauts: checked
the remainder are unchecked

Dictionary / Search Settings / Full-text
Integrate into English: checked

Dictionary / Search Settings / Search dictionaries
Dictionary search order: Current Only

Dictionary / Search Settings / Result display
Results sort order: Word Length
1-char: checked
merged: unchecked
show dicts: checked
Merge character set: Both

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
JimmyTheSaint said:
Dictionary / Search Settings / Search dictionaries
Dictionary search order: Current Only

There's your problem - "current only" overrides the language auto-detection and forces Pleco to always stick with the same dictionary until you manually switch it. (we need to mention that more explicitly in the manual - sorry) If you want to keep other non-PLC dictionaries from showing up unless you manually switch to them, you'd be better off doing that via "Manage Dictionaries" - turn on "only as fallback" in each non-PLC C-E dictionary's screen and then it will never search those dictionaries unless a) it can't find a word in PLC or b) you specifically switch to them. Another option would be to set the dictionary search order to 'from first," which do pretty much the same thing but also reset it back to PLC whenever the search term changes.

OK, I see, thanks. Perhaps adding "overrides language auto-detect" in parentheses after the "Current Only" choice will be enough to clarify. I had thought that Manage Dictionaries was only for setting the order; I only ever thought to press and hold on the right side arrow to drag. I never knew that clicking on the dictionary would bring up even more settings.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
JimmyTheSaint said:
OK, I see, thanks. Perhaps adding "overrides language auto-detect" in parentheses after the "Current Only" choice will be enough to clarify. I had thought that Manage Dictionaries was only for setting the order; I only ever thought to press and hold on the right side arrow to drag. I never knew that clicking on the dictionary would bring up even more settings.

Ah, yeah, easy to miss that. Some sort of label like that should do nicely.