Dictionary info

alexxx

秀才
Hi! After some days using this (Christmas present!) I'm completely in love with it... thank you so much!

I'd like to have some help with the ABC dictionary. In the definitions often some abbreviations are used. Some are obvious (e.g., "M" followed by a link->measure word), while some others ("f.e."? ...) are not.
In a paper dict I would go to the introduction, here where can I go?

thank you!

alessandro

johnh113

榜眼
Dear Alessandro,

When I installed my Pleco, there was an Instruction Manual folder, and inside that there was an abc.html file. So on your computer (not your pda) where you stored your downloaded information before putting it on your pda, the Instruction Manual should be there. Just double click on that Instruction Manual folder, and then double click on the abc.html and under "6. Abbreviations" you will find all the abbreviations.

I think this will eventually be available on your pda in a help menu.

But I wonder if in this electronic age we need to use these abbreviations. I understand that with a printed dictionary, if we wrote out all of the abbreviations, the number of pages would grow significantly and add unnecessary bulk and cost. But on a pda, where we can scroll if necessary, why can't we just have the word instead of the abbreviation? Wouldn't that make it easier, especially for abbreviations like "phy" and "phys"?

John