Dictionary Updates

cming

秀才
How often are updates relaeased for the dictionaries (eg Oxford) that come with Pleco, are there new entries with each version of Plecodict, or only the major releases?

Also can you tell me if you need to redownload the entire new files, or can you just update the new entries?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Only major releases. And sometimes not even then, we only update them in a major release if there's a new edition of the dictionary (or if we've received an updated / corrected data file from the publisher) - it's really all up to them. And yes, you would need to download entirely new data files in the event of an updated dictionary.

Hello Mike,

I just purchased the Pleco 2 beta and the remaining dictionaries. I will start playing around with it on my HP iPAQ hx2495 WM5 in the next couple of days. I have a question though. Will you be releasing the add-on dictionaries (cedict, Adsol, etc.) in the new database format with beta 4, or will we need to wait even longer for them? I love the add-ons, and use them quite regularly.

Keep up the wonderful work!

Cheers!

Darrol

ipsi

状元
I'm fairly sure Mike's said they're not coming out until the finished version is released... Or, if he hasn't said that, then he's definitely said that the converter utility won't be released until 2.0 is officially released (and probably a while afterwards). Given that the converter won't be released, I'm assuming that the free dictionaries won't be released either, until 2.0 is done.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, it's unlikely they'll be out before 2.0 is finished - we've already got our work cut out for us getting the paid dictionaries cleaned up nicely. Though UniHan at least is now included in the Character Info screen.