Difference in English mode on Android vs. iOS

JD

状元
I have a colleague that began using Pleco based on my recommendation. He's a native Chinese speaker, so he uses Pleco mainly to translate words from English into Chinese.

Today, I realized there seems to be a difference between Android (my colleague's tablet) and iOS (my iPad). We both searched for the word "aardvark" and got different results.

By default the iOS version came up with a filled in "blue E" set of results, while the Android came up with a "white E" set of results.

On iOS I can toggle between the "white E" and the "blue E" results. But on Android, the toggle doesn't work (I can't toggle to the "blue E" state).

Is this a limitation on Android? Or is there a different control to give me the equivalent?

Additionally, the results from the "white E" page seemed to be unrelated to "aardvark", while the "blue E" results found valid info in ABE and 21C. What were the results in the former category showing me? Perhaps I am not understanding clearly what the different results sets are trying to show me.

Thanks,
JD

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The "aardvark" issue specifically is a bug - it's not finding any matches in a full-text search for "aardvark" (which is what that [E] is) and apparently because that's one of the first few words in the alphabet it's returning some other random results instead of a "no results found." We'll fix that in our next update. If you search for some other word that isn't quite so early in the alphabet you should get better results.

The toggle isn't showing up on Android because you have an English-Chinese dictionary of some sort installed on iOS but not on Android - have you purchased any English-Chinese dictionary add-ons?

JD

状元
Ah, that explanation makes perfect sense! I appreciate the clarification.

You are correct also that my colleague did not have any E-C dictionaries on his Android. I had the Professional bundle on my iOS, so I never remembered that button not working. We downloaded the LDC freebie on his and then it worked the same as on mine.

Just out of curiosity, why is there the dual-E mode but not and equivalent dual-C mode?

JD

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
There is one, but it's hidden by default since we generally consider it less useful - can enable it in Settings / Manage Dictionary Groups.