Disappointed with the Stroke-Order Add-On

First off, I think Pleco is the best thing since sliced bread. I'm incredibly impressed with the app overall.

However, despite purchasing the Stroke Order add-on, I find myself app-switching to E-Stroke for the better stroke-order animations. I prefer the stroke order feature of E-Stroke over Pleco because (1) the animations are given for Kai, which is closer to handwritten form IMO, and (2) it is easier to access the stroke-order animations: you just tap on the corresponding character and the animation starts playing. In Pleco the animation option just takes too many button presses to get to - it slows me down.

This is the only feature that I'm sorry to have purchased. ($ would have been better put towards the shiny new ABC En>Ch dict that I've had in paper for a while now. Thanks so much for getting this in digital form!)

Regards,
Chris

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
chrismerck said:
First off, I think Pleco is the best thing since sliced bread. I'm incredibly impressed with the app overall.

However, despite purchasing the Stroke Order add-on, I find myself app-switching to E-Stroke for the better stroke-order animations. I prefer the stroke order feature of E-Stroke over Pleco because (1) the animations are given for Kai, which is closer to handwritten form IMO, and (2) it is easier to access the stroke-order animations: you just tap on the corresponding character and the animation starts playing. In Pleco the animation option just takes too many button presses to get to - it slows me down.

This is the only feature that I'm sorry to have purchased. ($ would have been better put towards the shiny new ABC En>Ch dict that I've had in paper for a while now. Thanks so much for getting this in digital form!)

Sorry to hear that. I don't have a good solution from you on #1 at the moment, but on #2, if you go into Settings / Entry Display / Definition Screen and set "Head tap action" to "Char Info," that will get you to the stroke order screen just by tapping on a character in an entry headword. However, if that doesn't make it useful enough for it to be worth the money then PM/email me and we can set up a refund for you.

scykei

榜眼
Actually, I have never found a good use for this stroke order addon. I feel that when you reach a certain point studying the Chinese characters, you will start to get the feel of it and almost every character, no matter how complex could be guessed pretty accurately. I feel that the most useful thing about this addon is the ability to reveal its components. However, I find it extremely complex to get what I want from it too.

Most of the time, I want a quick way to find the meanings of what the character is made up of. It's rather interesting to relate how they make up the word. This process isn't as easy as it should be.

Is it possible to enable a quick way to get information about the base component? I would like to just go to the Chars tab, find the relevant character in the list, tap on it and it should bring me right into the dictionary entry. The information in Unihan is great, but it's not really detailed nor precise enough for my liking. Also, give an option to filter out all the junk like meaningless headers, and other sorts of components which do not convey any significant meaning. These things are really weird because they aren't named radicals or anything, but more technical stuff that are redundant to me.

gato

状元
The stroke order diagram add-on allows you to search for characters that have other characters as a component.

Highlight the character you want, tap "字". In 字 view, tap on "Chars" and "Containing", and it will show you all characters that contains the character you highlighted as a component.

scykei

榜眼
gato said:
The stroke order diagram add-on allows you to search for characters that have other characters as a component.

Highlight the character you want, tap "字". In 字 view, tap on "Chars" and "Containing", and it will show you all characters that contains the character you highlighted as a component.
Yeah, but that isn't really useful for anything, I think. It's probably just nice to have though. :S

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
scykei said:
Actually, I have never found a good use for this stroke order addon. I feel that when you reach a certain point studying the Chinese characters, you will start to get the feel of it and almost every character, no matter how complex could be guessed pretty accurately. I feel that the most useful thing about this addon is the ability to reveal its components. However, I find it extremely complex to get what I want from it too.

Most of the time, I want a quick way to find the meanings of what the character is made up of. It's rather interesting to relate how they make up the word. This process isn't as easy as it should be.

Is it possible to enable a quick way to get information about the base component? I would like to just go to the Chars tab, find the relevant character in the list, tap on it and it should bring me right into the dictionary entry. The information in Unihan is great, but it's not really detailed nor precise enough for my liking. Also, give an option to filter out all the junk like meaningless headers, and other sorts of components which do not convey any significant meaning. These things are really weird because they aren't named radicals or anything, but more technical stuff that are redundant to me.

Lots of enhancements to that screen should be coming - we'd been waiting for a version of that database that did a better job of linking up components that were linguistically identical but appeared in multiple forms, but since that database upgrade doesn't seem to be forthcoming we're probably just going to make those links ourselves.

scykei said:

Yeah, but that isn't really useful for anything, I think. It's probably just nice to have though. :S

Not useful yet, but with some tweaking it could make for a rather lovely upgrade to radical input...

johnh113

榜眼
mikelove said:
scykei said:

Not useful yet, but with some tweaking it could make for a rather lovely upgrade to radical input...

Dear Reader,

Actually, I use that all the time. I have trouble distinguishing characters that look similar, and while practicing my flashcards I often look at the other characters that use the same components. It's very, very useful, at least for me.

John