D'oh!

Li Fei

Any chance of some kind of UNDO button for flashcard sessions? A combination of poor touchscreen calibration, an aging Palm and my being used to the location of the Pronunciation and Definition reveal buttons in 1.0 means I sometimes accidentally miss tone marks, enter the wrong letters or prematurely reveal during a Free Answer session. I promise I wouldn't cheat if you made a button like this.

renovator

榜眼
Of course you would cheat from time to time and then feel guilty as h*ll about it. There are still a few minor glitches that need to be improved such as when you go to the next card, sometimes all the boxes fill up by themselves with null values and count the card wrong and other similar events. Once those glitches are taken care of then I think you would no longer want the UNDO button because it will be easier to re-train yourself to properly use Pleco 2.0. There is no greater incentive to train youself on a card you messed up because your hand still used the reflexes you developed in 1.0 than to have that card counted wrong. I do growl at my mobile, though when I do nothing wrong and the card messes up on its own. I feel deeply cheated out of the score on that card. Fortunately that only happens about once every 50-80 cards.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Li Fei - If you enable the "Skip Card" button, you can tap on that instead of the Next button to advance to the next card and that will avoid recording a score for it - you won't be able to repeat the card, or change the answer to correct, but at least you'll avoid lowering its score. You could also install the 2.0.1 beta and enable the "prompt for answer quality" and "show all" options in the Scoring panel of Advanced Settings - that will let you mark a card correct or incorrect on your own regardless of whether you answered it correctly.

Of course this does facilitate cheating, but since Pleco is not a degree-granting institution we don't really care whether your flashcard scores are accurate - unless your Chinese teacher decides to start administering tests using Pleco flashcards you're only cheating yourself :)

renovator - aren't the null boxes gone in 2.0.1? Or are you not testing that yet?

renovator

榜眼
mikelove said:
- aren't the null boxes gone in 2.0.1? Or are you not testing that yet?

No Mike, the null boxes are still there. The big correction in 2.0.1 was that when you enter a tone and it fills the xext few boxes with that tone number only, you no longer advance to the next card, which lets me erase these tone only boxes and put in the proper pinyin. That was a huge plus. The all null boxes still happen. It happens on words with one, two, three, or four boxes to fill. When I advance from a correct card to the next card, the card just fills up with all red null boxes and counts the card as wrong. This is a 1 in 70-80 card event.

Li Fei

Thanks for your replies. Mike, I'll try the Skip Card option so at least I won't be at the bottom of the class :D