Easy way to find in which flashcard categories a dict entry is?

inorbit

举人
Here is the scenario:

1) Search for a word in the dictionaries
2) Find that the word is already in a flashcard category (solid or dotted squared +) and want to know in which category(ies) the word is.
3) a) solid squarred + : press the + -> Duplicate Card Pop-Up -> Card Info -> Cats
b) dotted squarred +: press the + (the plus become solid squarred +) -> do 3a) -> remove the current category

Is there an easier way to rapidly find the categories to which a word belongs? Thanks

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You could configure the dotted square to put up a duplicate prompt on tap to (in Settings / Flashcards) - little bit less painful that way at least. Nothing faster than this in general at the moment, though - Card Info should save the last tab you were in, is it not doing that now? 2 taps to get to a category list is about as fast as we can make it without adding even more chaos to our already very crowded UI.

inorbit

举人
You could configure the dotted square to put up a duplicate prompt on tap to (in Settings / Flashcards) - little bit less painful that way at least.
Interesting, but I cannot find this option in Settings/Flashcards? What it is exactly?

Nothing faster than this in general at the moment, though - Card Info should save the last tab you were in, is it not doing that now?
Sorry, but I am not sure what you mean by "Card Info should save the last tab you were in"?
If you mean that, after having been in Card Info -> tab Cats and quitting and going again in Card Info (via Duplicate) for the same card (or another card), I should automatically be in tab Cat, no this is not what I observe.

2 taps to get to a category list is about as fast as we can make it without adding even more chaos to our already very crowded UI.

In actual practice, it's more than 2 tap.
For the better case (solid square), it is 5 tap:
1 tap on the solid square
1 tap on Card Info in the Duplicate Card pop-up
1 tap on the Cats tab
1 tap on the back arrow
1 tap on Cancel on the duplicate Card pop-up <-- this one is annoying

And for the more frequent case I use (dotted square), it's 7 tap!:
1 tap to change the dotted square in solid square <-- this one is annoying
1 tap on the solid square
1 tap on Card Info in the Duplicate Card pop-up
1 tap on the Cats tab
1 long pressed on the current category added uselessly (to remove it) <-- this one is annoying
1 tap on the back arrow
1 tap on the Cancel on the duplicate Card pop-up <-- this one is annoying

If I can set the option you talk at the beginning of the post, it will be reduced to 5 tap (solid square case)

I don't like the idea that I should create a duplicate (and especially remove it after), when I only want to access information about the categories.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The option is called "Not in Category" - set that to "Prompt" just like "Already in Category."

If it's not saving the tab then it would be 3 taps, yes. We probably should dismiss the alert on invoking Card Info so I'll make a note about that - between that and correctly saving the last tab it should end up as 3 taps beginning-to-end for both cases in 3.0, which is only one tap more than the absolute minimum (a dedicated button to pop up a category list).

inorbit

举人
The option is called "Not in Category" - set that to "Prompt" just like "Already in Category."

If it's not saving the tab then it would be 3 taps, yes. We probably should dismiss the alert on invoking Card Info so I'll make a note about that - between that and correctly saving the last tab it should end up as 3 taps beginning-to-end for both cases in 3.0, which is only one tap more than the absolute minimum (a dedicated button to pop up a category list).

Yes, 3 taps will be good! Thanks.