Experimental 2.0.0 Windows Mobile Audio Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Is at:

http://www.pleco.com/beta/pc200-audfix2.zip

This fixes a specific issue with audio crashes / static in between syllables / audio going silent on Windows Mobile, particularly acute in flashcard sessions; the audio system on Palm OS is completely different and does not appear to have the same bug, so this fix is for WM only. Version number in the About box is 2.0.0(aud2), continuing in our tradition of needlessly complicated version strings.

To install the fix, exit Pleco completely with the Quit command in the Dict menu, then connect your handheld to your desktop, go into its memory through My Computer and copy the updated Pleco application file into your \\Program Files\Pleco folder (My Computer, Mobile Device, My Windows Mobile-Based Device, Program Files, Pleco on XP, or on Vista, My Computer, (your handheld's name), /, Program Files, Pleco), replacing the version that's already there.

We'd really appreciate if as many people as possible could install this, try playing some audio with it and let us know (in the 2.0.0 bug thread) if it makes things any better or worse - the problem looks to be serious enough that we'd really like to get this fix into the official shipping version of 2.0 (which I guess we'd now call 2.0.0a or something like that) rather than make everybody wait for a later bug-fix update, but we can't do that unless we're confident it doesn't introduce any new problems. It may actually make syllable-by-syllable playback sound a bit better for some people, since the revised audio code starts decoding the next syllable while it's still playing the current one; on some devices this can reduce the gap between syllables.

This version is not code-signed, so you'll get a security warning with it as with earlier 2.0 test releases - VeriSign charges us money every time we code-sign another version of an application, so we try to keep those to a minimum (though we would of course code-sign it if it actually becomes 2.0.0a).

Status
Not open for further replies.