Experimental 2.0.2 Beta with "Organize Flashcards" screen

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
A new experimental beta-test version has been posted at:

http://www.pleco.com/beta/pd202b2a.zip

The big change (and the reason for the "experimental" status) is that we've now added an "Organize Flashcards" screen, bringing back the move / copy-type flashcard management functionality from 1.0. This is meant to address one of the biggest complaints we get from users new to 2.0, that it's really hard to figure out how to move around / organize flashcards into different categories, and one of the biggest complaints from experienced users, that it takes too many steps to take a card out of one category and put it into another. PLEASE BACK UP YOUR FLASHCARDS BEFORE INSTALLING THIS BETA, as that new screen introduces a couple of new flashcard manipulation commands that could definitely corrupt your flashcard database if they turn out to be buggy.

(also made one other change to address issues sthubbar and others reported with back / forward still not working correctly - let us know if it makes things better or worse)

Between this and the "limit unlearned cards" improvements in 2.0.1 I think we're finally getting pretty close to where things should have been in 2.0 usability-wise; the biggest remaining issue is the mathematical end of card selection / spaced repetition / etc, it's still too complicated for new users / too opaque for experienced ones (cards seem to be floating in a sort of nebulous void and it's never exactly clear when / how often they're going to come up), but if we manage to improve things on that front in 2.0.3 we could finally have a halfway-decent flashcard system here :)

The interface for "Organize Flashcards" should be largely self-explanatory - choose categories to display in the two lists from the popup menus at the top of the screen, and move / copy cards between them with the appropriate buttons. New Card / Card Info / Delete Card buttons are included with the left list, along with a Remove from Category button which removes the selected card from that category (but doesn't delete it in general). "Copy All" copies all cards from the right list to the left list. (we didn't add a Move All due to lack of space, but it's very easy to go into Manage Categories and delete that category after you've copied all of the cards from it to another category)

Couple of 2.0-specific wrinkles to this: Move Up / Move Down are now supported for reordering entries in categories, but they don't apply in flashcard sessions yet (and only show up in Manage Cards in single-category searches), so they're not all that useful. We may be adding more powerful rearrangement commands at some point too (a Move button as in Manage Categories to quickly relocate a card to a different location in the list), so we'd strongly discourage you from spending a lot of time painstakingly rearranging your flashcard lists in a particular order at this point. Cards in child categories are *not* included when listing cards in a given category - including them would screw up the way we've implemented Move Up / Move Down, and it seems more logical this way anyway (particularly as we're contemplating switching to "Folders" and not letting categories be children of other categories in 2.1).

Also, the nature of the "Uncategorized" category means that you may see some seemingly-odd behavior when moving cards to and from that. Cards in Uncategorized can't be sorted, and if Uncategorized is on the right side of the screen, the "Copy All" command is effectively a "Move All" command, since putting a card into a category means it's no longer uncategorized. And when removing a card from the left-hand list with the Remove from Category button, if Uncategorized is on the right and the card is no longer in any category because of that removal, it'll be inserted at the bottom of Uncategorized.

Bug reports / feedback specific to this beta can go in this thread, other 2.0.2b2-related bugs / feedback can go in the separate thread for that. Any suggestions about design changes, unnecessary features (do we really need a New Card button here?) or useful ones to add (is there some particular Batch command that would be helpful), etc would be welcome, the design for this is still wide-open.

ben_gb

探花
Hi,

I've started using this today.

My first feedback is more of a feature request rather than a bug...

Any chance you could make it so the list boxes resize on bigger screens?

With a Touch HD, the list only takes up half the screen, so it's much less efficient to deal with the card lists.

Actually the same problem is in some other parts of pleco, such as the Character Info screens (Details, Stroke Order, and Compounds).

Regarding the 'New Card' button... I find it useful to have a quick way to add a new custom card for when I want to enter phrases or sentences which aren't in the dictionaries. If you are going use this to replace the "Manage Flashcards" window, then whatever replaces it does need a quick way to add custom cards.

Ben

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Coding up screens to automatically resize takes a lot of work, particularly given the number of different screen ratios we potentially have to support on WM (tall, very tall, wide, very wide, VGA and non-VGA and 320x320, etc), so we're only enabling a few of those in each release - we did add support for resizing the Input dialogs in 2.0.2 but we probably won't get Organize Flashcards enabled for it for another version or two.

Organize Flashcards isn't meant to replace Manage Flashcards, though, only to supplement it - it'll likely be the default option in "simple mode" if we ever get around to adding that, but there are a lot of benefits to the Manage Flashcards approach for "power users" so I wouldn't want to take that away from them.

ben_gb

探花
Hi again,

OK...I've been using this version on and off today, and it does seem to have a problem...

It seems to be causing my phone to reset (Touch HD). However, I'm not sure exactly when this is happening. Basically 3 times today I have finished a flashcard session, then put my phone down (on charge, in my pocket etc), then some time later when I go back to the phone, I found it seems to have reset (pleco isn't running any more and the default Keyboard SIP is back). Unfortunately I haven't yet seen this happening while it's in my hand....it doesn't happen while I'm using it, but later, maybe 5 or 10 mins afterwards.

Also, the error I was getting in the other thread (about initializing flashcards) may be related to this version, as I've had the message appear several times after running pleco (usually after it's reset), and it goes away when I exit and reopen Pleco.

Not sure if it's related, but I've added some cards during these sessions, but after the reset, I found not all the new cards were shown in the list.

The last version I was using before installing this was the latest 2.0.1 beta, so I'll try the 'normal' 2.0.2 beta for a while to see if there's any difference.

Ben

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Are you sure the phone has reset rather than Pleco simply crashing on its own? Have you turned off the Windows Mobile application-has-crashed error messages? That initializing-flashcards error is very odd, might be something to do with an upgraded version of SQLite - I'll be very interested to hear if this is a general 2.0.2 beta problem or something specific to this build, anyway.

ben_gb

探花
Hi Mike,

At first I thought it was just Pleco crashing, but then I noticed the SIP had changed each time (I use the Touchpal keyboard SIP, but for some reason on the HD it cannot set itself as default, so everytime the phone reboots the SIP is set back to one of the original SIPs). I definitely had the Touchpal SIP set when I was using Pleco, before the reboots, which is what led me to conlude the phone was restarting.

I don't think I switched off the Windows crash messages...I've got the "Error Reporting" thing switched on. Is there somewhere else to check this?

ben_gb

探花
A quick follow-up. Earlier today I switched to the old 2.01 beta for a while, and then switched back to this special 2.0.2a beta, with a full power-down reset in between, rather than just a soft reset, and since then I haven't had a crash or reboot, or the flashcard error.

I'll continue with this version for the moment to see if it remains stable.

Ben

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
OK, thanks. If Touchpal was running in the background, there's at least a small chance that whatever crashed Pleco also crashed it without resetting the whole phone, though I've never actually heard of that happening before. Error Reporting should be all you need to get those crash messages, I think.