Export ebook text?

ben-

Is it possible to export an ebook that I bought as a Pleco add-on to plain text? I want to use MDBG to create inline Pinyin glosses, print that to a PDF and read it on my e-reader. This would be great as currently the only way I have to read the book in Pinyin is to constantly press the "next word" button on my phone (not my preferred device for reading). Would appreciate any guidance on this, thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No, I'm afraid that's not possible for copy-protection reasons (the same reason you can't do this with an ebook you purchase from Amazon or whoever). We are working on our own support for inline Pinyin glosses + tone coloring, though:
Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone 12 Pro - 2022-03-02 at 09.37.37.png

ben-

Hah, that's the book I'm reading! Yeah, I understand about not being able to allow export due to copy protection. (I do appreciate a good DRM-free paid ebook though - the relatively few that exist.) I'm psyched for the Pinyin gloss feature in 4.0 (is there font size control to make the glosses bigger than in the screenshot?), thanks for the screenshot!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
is there font size control to make the glosses bigger than in the screenshot?

Yeah, it's currently an Expert setting but you can make them quite big and it'll even add extra whitespace around words to accommodate the longer syllables.

ben-

I'm looking for a way to use the 3.x app on a device with a bigger screen than my phone without buying an Android tablet for just this purpose. I tried installing the app on android-x86 emulated in VirtualBox on my laptop and it crashed on startup -- I briefly saw a message that said something like "Corrupted Application." Have you had any success doing something like this, or any recommendations for how I might get the app running on a platform that hooks up to a big screen?

alex_hk90

状元
I'm looking for a way to use the 3.x app on a device with a bigger screen than my phone without buying an Android tablet for just this purpose. I tried installing the app on android-x86 emulated in VirtualBox on my laptop and it crashed on startup -- I briefly saw a message that said something like "Corrupted Application." Have you had any success doing something like this, or any recommendations for how I might get the app running on a platform that hooks up to a big screen?
I haven't tried it myself but others have reported success using scrcpy to have your (Android) phone's screen show on your computer:

If you read through that thread I think there are other options such as using an Android emulator on your PC, though if I remember correctly there are some (mostly minor) issues.