Exporting Flashcards to my Palm OS Treo

Zaydxpres

I have a macbook pro computer and a palm Treo running Palm OS. Due to the stupidity of Apple, I was forced to download Missing Sync in order to sync my phone and computer.

That aside, I am trying to export some flashcards I got from Chinesepod onto my computer. The easy way to do so would be to just pop my SD card into my computer....but my computer does not have an SD slot. I have tried to install using missing sync, but it will not allow me to install .xml files. It won't me highlight them, so I have come on here to ask for advice. Any thoughts would be appreciated...well not true, any thoughts related to my issue would be appreciated.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Actually I'd blame that more on Palm and their failure to keep updating Palm OS Desktop than Apple, but neither of them is entirely free from blame.

Anyway, the easiest solution for this would be a $12 utility called Card Export available at http://www.softick.com/cardexport2/ - it basically turns your Treo into a memory card reader - though you might be able to get a card reader for less than that on eBay. Alternatively, if Missing Sync will let you install .txt files, you could change the .xml extension to that, install the file to your Palm, then rename it back to XML using FileZ. Another option would be to export a file from ChinesePod in the PlecoDict 1.0 text format (also compatible with 2.0), convert it to a PalmDoc .PDB file using a converter utility like this, and install that very Palm-friendly PDB file to your Treo's internal memory; Pleco supports PalmDoc imports quite happily.