Feature Request: GR Support

Pleco Feature Request Department:

I'm a year into intense self-study of Mandarin, however, I am still struggling with tones. Although I can produce tones accurately, I find it very difficult to remember tones from pinyin tone marks. My eyes lock onto the latin letters in the "spelling" of the pinyin, ignoring the tone marks. I have tried using the audio feature, tone colors, and tone numbers, but these just arn't working for me.

I have not worked with GR (Gwoyeu Romatzyh) very much, but I strongly suspect that it would help with tone memory for those of us who learn new pronunciations mainly from written sources (read: Pleco).

I do not need search support in GR, I am only interested in having the ability to switch the displayed romanization to GR.

One clumsy and unfortunate quirk of GR is the notation for the 輕聲 (a period before the neutral tone) -- but that should not be a big obstacle.

I understand that this is an obscure request (although I think it could be efficacious for many learners), but maybe I'm wrong and some more GR enthusiasts will chime in.

Thanks,
Chris

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
chrismerck said:
I have not worked with GR (Gwoyeu Romatzyh) very much, but I strongly suspect that it would help with tone memory for those of us who learn new pronunciations mainly from written sources (read: Pleco).

I do not need search support in GR, I am only interested in having the ability to switch the displayed romanization to GR.

Search support would be a little dicey, but if we limit it to just display it actually wouldn't be too hard - could use the same system we use now to render stuff in Zhuyin, more-or-less. We'd probably also want to support a few other romanizations at the same time - Wade-Giles and Yale at least, the KMT killed Tongyong Pinyin (a decision I heartily agree with) so we don't have to worry about that one anymore but those two are probably about as common as GR.