[Feature Request] Option to Hide or Collapse Sidebar

adamlau

探花
IOS and Android, particularly in the phone format factor. Bypass infrequent and unused choices in an effort to reduce clutter and the potential need to scroll the sidebar.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You can reorder them in Settings / Miscellaneous. I'm disinclined to support hiding them because of the tech support burden of people hiding stuff and the not being able to find them again. (I'm also contemplating a move away from a sidebar entirely, actually - they're really kind of a relic of the 3.5" screen era - but I'd also want something more flexible than a static tab bar at the bottom to replace them so I'm not sure what that'll look like yet)

rizen suha

状元
sidebar?? where i access the sub-apps: dictionary, flashcards, reader, etc..?? i consider myself to be a "power user" or at least "intense user" and i _love_ that bar and the way it is accessed (from within sub-apps) from the top left three-bar menu handle. i love it with the iphone 8 and with the ipad 10.5, no matter how big the display area.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yep. A lot of people don't like reaching for it - edge swipe made that a bit easier but it's still annoying to get to the commands closer to the top; the trend now is to put as many controls as possible near the bottom of the screen.

(but I don't expect to make a decision on this until after we see what the 2018 iOS / Android updates look like)

Reactions: JD

pdwalker

状元
I didn't know about the sidebar for the first two years I was using the program.

Now that I know, I use it daily as it saves me time.

adamlau

探花
Fan of the sidebar as well. Just wish the hamburger menu could exist on all (single pane) screens for fast access to utilities, anytime, anywhere.