Flashcard counter

kelin

Working my way through all the features of flashcard. Can't work out why this is happening, I know I have say 25 cards in a catergory. Starts out ok 1/25, 2/25, then it might jump to 3/23 etc. Instead of testing me for 25 it might test only 22 or 23, what is happening to the missing cards. When i have a category with 25 cards I like to be tested on 25 cards, not that interested whether a card has a 400 rating or 100 rating. Do like the feature of being able to review the cards that you got wrong

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, a lot of people have complained about this - basically it's happening because Pleco's finding that some of the cards in that category aren't valid, they're missing a headword / pronunciation / definition and hence don't have all of the information needed to test on them. If we verified all of the cards before the session started it would take a really long time, so instead we check them as they load. We briefly took away the number after the / (since it wasn't always accurate), but people were very unhappy about that so we put it back but made it decrease whenever the system skips over a card.

We've thought about adding an option to display even invalid cards during sessions, but in anything but self-scored / review-only that would result in really weird / undesirable / bug-like behavior (blank spaces in multi-choice, free-answer questions coming up as wrong regardless of what you enter, etc) so the option would only be available in self-scored / review-only.

kelin

Thanks Mike, this all came about by downloading ready made flashcards lists and Proper names not having reference to dictionary entries. Just took me a while to work out in Pleco2 how to edit flashcard list by adding user definition

peterlkj

Is this removal process done every time you go through the same set, or are cards removed once and for all? What I've noticed is that the number still changes in flashcard sets I've been through completely several times.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It's done every time you go through the set, so something must be happening to make some cards valid (or invalid) that weren't before.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
There are about a dozen or so cards in the HSK lists that don't have definitions (basically because we couldn't find any in any of our dictionaries or any freely-available ones) - tap on the Settings button in Manage Cards and search for "incomplete" and that'll bring up a list of them which you can then delete or fill in with definitions.

ldolse

状元
Maybe the complaints on this behavior would go down if you hardcoded '~' before that statistic to let people know it was an approximation....

ipsi

状元
I've got a strange feeling that would result in complaints/questions about 'that funny character' going up, however...

peterlkj

That seems to have solved the problem, thanks - looking at the cards without definitions, they are all the grammar constructions rather than individual words.