Flashcard Question

Wan

榜眼
Hi,

let’s take the PLC dictionary entry for 经心 as an example. The whole entry has got the characters, the translation “careful; mindful; conscientious” and quite a few example sentences with characters, pinyin and translation. I added the word 经心 to my flashcards. I set Plecodict to show only the definition and ask for the characters in flashcard sessions, because I don’t want to see the pinyin before answering.
Now, in a test session, I only get to see the translation, not the example sentences. I thought this might have to do with the “no pinyin” setting, but it obviously doesn’t: After answering, the pinyin (i.e. “jing1xin1”) is revealed, but not the example sentences. Why could this be?

Wan

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Wan said:
let’s take the PLC dictionary entry for 经心 as an example. The whole entry has got the characters, the translation “careful; mindful; conscientious” and quite a few example sentences with characters, pinyin and translation. I added the word 经心 to my flashcards. I set Plecodict to show only the definition and ask for the characters in flashcard sessions, because I don’t want to see the pinyin before answering.
Now, in a test session, I only get to see the translation, not the example sentences. I thought this might have to do with the “no pinyin” setting, but it obviously doesn’t: After answering, the pinyin (i.e. “jing1xin1”) is revealed, but not the example sentences. Why could this be?

By design - we don't show examples by default because then you can't see all of the definitions at once, which seems like a bad idea on a test where you're trying to teach people definitions.

However, you can change this by setting "Definition sections" in "Card Text" to "No Xrefs" or "Show All."

oldchum62

This is kind of unrelated to this thread but I wanted the pleco flashcard character lists for the 'conversational chinese 301' and 'chinese characters' textbooks by Kang Yuhua et al and AAlan Hoenig, respectively. I wanted to pm Mr Wan but I am a new user here so I can't. Could anyone very kindly point me to where I could get these. I really appreciate any help. Thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
oldchum62 said:
This is kind of unrelated to this thread but I wanted the pleco flashcard character lists for the 'conversational chinese 301' and 'chinese characters' textbooks by Kang Yuhua et al and AAlan Hoenig, respectively. I wanted to pm Mr Wan but I am a new user here so I can't. Could anyone very kindly point me to where I could get these. I really appreciate any help. Thanks.

Are they available on some other site? If so then you could probably adapt them to our format pretty easily - just arrange them like this:

characters<tab>pinyin<tab>definition

one item per line. (now that you've had a post approved you can also send PMs)

oldchum62

Thanks Mike. I will pm Wan f or the lists. If all else fails, I will copy them one by one in the format you suggested. On a side note, I am a bit new to all this technology, this being my first smartphone but I think this pleco gizmo is absolutely fantastic!!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
oldchum62 said:
Thanks Mike. I will pm Wan f or the lists. If all else fails, I will copy them one by one in the format you suggested. On a side note, I am a bit new to all this technology, this being my first smartphone but I think this pleco gizmo is absolutely fantastic!!

Thank you!